Rigid band saw

I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with it? I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it? The saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

Jimmy

I've had one for a couple of years and am happy with it...

It would be nice to have more than 3/4 hp, but for the $300 I spent on it, it's a lot of saw for the bucks..

On the advice of the group here, I went with the Grizzly riser kit at Amazon.com The saw is made off shore and is branded and painted differently for whomever markets it.. the Griz kit was 2/3 of the price for the same thing from Ridgid, if you don't mind a green block on a gray saw.. *g*

Anyway, my saw was great from the time I assembled it... I was reading here about setting up, changing wheel alignment and all those other things but didn't need to do much more than put a blade on and adjust the guides... cuts straight and no wobble, tracks in the middle of both wheels, etc..

Mac

mac davis

part number for the riser is AC5005. When you try to order, it wont add to the cart. I've heard it's pricey so people have been using substitutes like the Grizzly.

This place has it listed for $133:

these guys list it for $130:
a Google search for "Ridgid AC5005".

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

> Ridgids part number for the riser is AC5005. When you try to order, it

> Do a Google search for "Ridgid AC5005".

And one more interesting link. These guys seem to find them at their local HD for $60.

Darrell Dorsey

Thanks a lot for the input. Sounds like I will use the Grizzly riser.

>>> Ridgids part number for the riser is AC5005. When you try to order, it

>>> Do a Google search for "Ridgid AC5005".

Reply to
Jimmy

The bandsaw is fine. First thing though, toss out the blade that comes with saw. It is one poor piece of steel, dull and impossible to cut a straight line with. Get a good blade like TimberWolf blade or even a mediocre one and you will immediately notice the difference. Also, you will want to buy or build a fence, especially for resawing. Then take the time and read the instructions and tune it up. Mine will cut mahogany circa 1/32" veneer without trouble.

JD

Reply to
JD

I have a Ridgid, and am very happy with it.. Here's what I've done to improve its performance

1) Replace the drive belt with a multilink belt.. drops vibration significantly, adds a bit more power ~$20 CDN

2) Replace the upper thumb set screws for the guideblocks with allen head setscrews Greatly improves visibility when your cutting. (Replace the steel guideblocks with Coolblocks, while you're at it.) ~$25 CDN

3) Get a decent blade.. I like the Viking 1/2" x 3 TPI
Not mandatory, but I love mine.. Purchased the KREG bandsaw fence. After setting up for drift, cuts veneer like nobodys business.

As for the RISER kit, I've run into the same problem..

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. Ridiculously expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the GRIZZLY 6" Riser kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades, but I've not tried it. (They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact they are co-owned by the same people that run BusyBee up here) I'm tempted to have it shipped to a UPS store near the border, (I'm in Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it up.

Hope this helps you out.

Mike.

Mike Mac

"Mike Mac" wrote in news:PyWJg.25114$ snipped-for-privacy@fe61.usenetserver.com:

a link that lists the Ridgid riser block (pt no AC5005) for US $59.97. Although their "Order this Product" links don't seem to be working properly this morning, you might be able to use the website's listed price as ammunition if you call their telephone service (listed on the Ridgidparts.com home page as 1-866-539-1710) and they give you a different price...

Reply to
Reed

Thanks for the info.

Just called the, they now want 202.53 CDN! +$5 delivery

Pointed the agent to the page I was looking at that said $59.95 US (and that I would be more than happy to pay the US equivalent) .. she said she could knock 10% off the CDN $202.53.. (whoa.. a whole $20!) ..SOOO much better. I said PASS..

oh well. I need a laugh this morning anyhow.

I wonder if I couldn't just MAKE my own parts for it.. !

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike Mac

"Reed" wrote in message news:Xns983157E2C37FCrsnellenbergerhousto@24.93.43.119... > "Mike Mac" wrote in > news:PyWJg.25114$ snipped-for-privacy@fe61.usenetserver.com: > >> >> As for the RISER kit, I've run into the same problem.. >> >> HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. >> Ridiculously expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the >> GRIZZLY 6" Riser kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades, >> but I've not tried it. (They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact >> they are co-owned by the same people that run BusyBee up here) I'm >> tempted to have it shipped to a UPS store near the border, (I'm in >> Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it up. >> > >

> > Contains a link that lists the Ridgid riser block (pt no AC5005) for US > $59.97. Although their "Order this Product" links don't seem to be > working properly this morning, you might be able to use the website's > listed price as ammunition if you call their telephone service (listed on > the Ridgidparts.com home page as 1-866-539-1710) and they give you a > different price... > >

Reply to
Tom

How about ordering it from Amazon.com?

I bought the Grizzly kit for my BS1400 from Amazon for less than Grizzly wanted for it, and the Amazon purchase was shipped by Grizzly... Might be a way around the not shipping to Canada? Mac

mac davis

Amazon.com will not ship tools to Canada.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Exactly my frustration.

MAC, thanks for the confirmation that the kit DOES fit on the BS1400, good to know.

So I'm left with shipping to a UPS Store in Ogdensburg, where they will hold for it for you for a small fee, then drive down and get it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mac

That brings up a border question, Mike... Do you then have to declare the thing and pay duty on it?

We're moving to Mexico next month and I'm wondering how I'm going to handle my usual orders with Lee Valley, PSI, etc....

We'll have an address in the nearest town on the US side of the border and will pick it up there or have the local (baja) postal service pick it up on the weekly run, but I'm not sure how duty and stuff work... Mac

mac davis

Yes.. I'll have to declare it. My experience so far is that I'll only have to pay the Cdn Sales tax (7%) when I bring it in, not any specific actual 'duty', so still a savings.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the US-Mexico exchange would work.

Today I'm making my first pen ever on my new lathe... will post a pic in alt.binaries when assembled. Stay tuned!

Mike

Mike Mac

I've been told that duty is up to 20%...

COOL! For most folks, the first one or 2 are pretty bad, but you won't know that until you look at it after turning a lot more pens... but they're also the "keepers"... something about those first couple of pens..

Mac

mac davis