Right Blade, Left Blade

Page 3 of 4

"Leon" wrote in message

Hehe ... There should also be a law in Doug's state that he must post his whereabouts during deer season. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

fever", then you've not done very much deer hunting.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

At nine years of age I was left in a tree stand, in an abandoned cemetery at dark thirty, with a .22 rifle and instructed to only shoot for the head ... if I even saw a buck.
Even though my right leg was doing an uncontrollable dance by itself due to the excitement the minute that six pointer walked into the graveyard at dawn, I was the only one on that hunt that scored.
I've hunted at time or two ... and as you know, hunters like to rub it in a bit. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Just ribbin you Doug. I do not know of any one in Texas that has not done that. Trying to hold the gun still can be a real problem especially when you are excited. Typically though I think we would actually poop our pants if were able to get within 25 feet of a deer that was not been acclimated to human contact or tied up. LOL

*Twice* I've been within SIX FEET of a *monster* buck, and totally unable to get a shot off.
The first time, I was bow-hunting at the edge of a field; he snuck up from behind me. I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye and tried to turn slowly but he saw the movement, so I froze. He walked up to only five or six feet away and stood there staring at me and sniffing. I guess I must have moved a bit too much for his liking, because he suddenly jumped and ran, and I never saw him again.
The second time, I was hunting in an area that can be reached only by boat. I used a canoe so as to make as little noise as possible. Paddled into a small cove with a bit of a beach at the bottom of a five-foot-high bluff where the woods begin. Beached the canoe. Need to relieve myself. Don't want to pee in the lake, so I walked over to the base of the bluff. I had _just_finished_ when I heard him coming. Then I saw him. Oh. My. Gosh. Huge, absolutely huge. And less than five yards away. Guess where my gun was... five steps away, in the canoe. Turned my back to him and just stood there. He walked up _right_ behind me -- two feet at most, he's on the top of this five-foot bluff, I'm standing at the bottom of it) and sniffed me over, then just walked away as I stood there unarmed and unable to move.
<...snipped...>

Whats the matter, you couldn't jump on him and break his neck?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Wasserman) wrote:

Didja note the part where I said he was at the *top* of a small bluff, and I was at the *bottom* ? :-) Woulda been quite a prodigious leap, I tellya. Atlhough now that you mention it, I mighta had enough adrenaline flowing to manage it, if I had thought of it...
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:01:45 GMT, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) spake:

Well, it's a good thing Doug had already relieved himself.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

and wear an eye patch over his right eye..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net wrote:

No, the left eye - that was the problem. I'm right-handed, left-eyed.
There was an article a few years back in American Hunter that said you're better off shooting with your dominant *eye* and recommended that people with this type of cross dominance should learn to shoot with the non-dominant hand.
I just can't manage to feel comfortable that way. Not with a long gun, anyhow. It's no problem at all for me to shoot a pistol right-handed and left-eyed.
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:38:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I had to qualify with all the rifles and assorted crap right handed in the army.. never fired them that way for real, though..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net wrote:

I can imagine you might not have enjoyed that, depending on when you served. My BIL is left-handed, and served 10+ years as active-duty Navy. He said that when he went through basic, in the mid-70s, the M-16 ejected spent cartridges back and to the right... right down his shirt collar. They're kinda hot, he tells me. I understand that the weapon has since been modified with a guard that prevents the spent shells from coming quite so far back.
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:35:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The one that I really remember was the m-60 (light machine gun) The Army, in all of it's wisdom, said that the weapon could not be fired left handed, as the ejected brass would hit you in the eye.. I qualified expert, etc. right handed with a lot of practice..
I carried one for 5 or 6 months in Nam, left handed on an assault belt.. fired several thousand rounds left handed and never got hit by any brass.. (at least from MY gun *g*)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I carried the old slug left handed too and caught one chunk of fired brass in my tee-shirt neck (target right). I still have the burn scar on my belly where it lodged. I was a bit too busy to yank my tee out of my belt at the time!
Ah well, life is like that, it's all about priorities and survival is the first priority, or pretty close to it.
Tom
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:52:41 -0700, mac davis

OK, and the final answer, For this type saw, sidewinder, PC Model 423 left hand blade. USE YOUR LEFT HAND.
Look at the owners manual where is clearly indicated to hold the saw with your LEFT HAND ON THE TRIGGER.
Look here http://media.ptg-online.com/20050103080845_En912490-01-04-04.pdf on pages 14,15,16.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm Someone, not Pat<g>
What he and others are telling you, quite simply is: The weight of the saw, for safety's sake, is to be resting on the supported side of the wood being cut. How you accomplish that is up to you.

Oh well, you've got the concept down but... So you're not left-handed. We aren't talking about handwriting here, just simple motor skills. Yeah, it can be a bit awkward the first few times but look at it this way: You CAN do it, you WILL concentrate on what you're doing in order to do it and CONCENTRATION is a GOOD THING when dealing with power tools.
Still think you can't do it? Can you manage to get a can of beer up to your mouth while holding a sandwich in your right? or vice versa? If so, you can handle the saw regardless of what side the blade is on. Just remember - KEEP THE MOTOR OVER THE GOOD, SUPPORTED PIECE, not the cutoff! <g>

Unquestionably
You gave me an idea.....Maybe I should sit back, enjoy a beer and not let all this bother me!
Thanks!

The saw is to your right.
-j