right angle drill

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so I've decided to bite the bullet.

Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?

I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to lag their .02 ...

TIA

Reply to
Swingman

Some years ago I bought the DeWalt 14.4 v. model, as I had all 14.4 tools. There was no cheaper way to get two fresh batteries and another charger. The drill was free. My only complaint is the reversing switch is pretty small.

"Chip" in Columbus

Reply to
Chip Chester

I looked at HF:

they are about$50. For so little use, I wouldn't get something battery powered, unless you have other tools with the same battery. I've had several bats go bad just sitting.

HF has air angle drills for about the same price. They turn much faster and are better for working with small bits, so if you have air handy, they are a good choice. I have several HF air tools and all are fine after several years of light use.

Reply to
Wilson

You didn't mention if you had to be cordless or at exactly a 90-degree angle. So I offereth thou this solid suggestion:

My favourite amongst the tailed species is the Milwaukee 1/2" 0-750 RPM Close Quarter Drill. Lots of balls and a nice feel to it after you use it for a while. Milwaukee also makes a 3/8" version of the same configuration, but it doesn't feel the same, but doesn't cost as much.

Models 0375-6 and 0379-1. Neither are cheap.

The 0379-1 is my main squeeze... I use it for EVERYTHING. It's my screw driver. The weird pendulum weight distribution takes a load off the wrists when driving screws.

this was more like 3 cents worth.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks, HF is a thought because it will be one of those items that is little used, but when you need it nothing else will do.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thanks ... the extra penny is much appreciated!

Reply to
Swingman

I've only seen the American Vermont version locally, wasn't impressed. I've heard tell of a Milwaukee version, but haven't been able to locate one locally. They all look like they add quite a bit of length with the housing and chuck, then add in the drill bit length and I'm almost back where I started from.

From what I've seen thus far, the "close quarters" designed drills probably make more $en$e for my use.

Reply to
Swingman

HD has the Milwaukee ones...at least here they do. They're handy..but two-handed. One to hold the adaptor, the other to run the drill. For small stuff only, because as the bevel gears load up, friction increases and the thing wants to jump out of your fingers.

Reply to
Robatoy

on 10/26/2005 4:16 PM Swingman said the following:

Have to be cordless? If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close quarter drill/driver. Reversible, variable speed. Very comfortable fit in hand. Tool King had them for about $60 as factory reconditioned. Couldn't tell it by looking at the one I bought. Pristine condition, unmarked. Nice tool.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have the Makita & is still going strong after 10 years, but when I am not using it for tight area work it does not sit around- I keep a countersink bit in it so I don't have to swap bits constantly in my other screw gun.

MikeB

Reply to
Bert

"Robatoy"

I agree. The Milwaukee is my choice. I also have a Makita, (well had, I loaned to a friend 5 years ago.) it was fine but the chuck was junk. I also have the Milwaukee Hole Hawg - awesome drill when real power is needed.

Dave

Teamcasa

Prefer it not to be ... it's just that I have a couple of 18v DeWalt tools with two very good, reconditioned batteries.

If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close

Between you and Robatoy, that might be it ... the price is right on the 3/8 reconditioned at Tool King and that's all I really need for the cabinet work.

Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

My wife gave me a Makita right angle drill, 7.2 volt in 1983. It is now 22 years old. The battery still works. Now the battery does not work like new but I seldom use the drill except for those tight spots and I have to recharge when I anticipate needing to use the drill. But that said, the battery still will take a charge and it gets my situation handled.

Reply to
Leon

You don't mention the size chuck needed.

I use a 2 speed, 1/2" antique Makita, corded unit since I drill quite a few holes with large hole saws.

If you need a large unit, I'd give Milwaukee a hard look.

If smaller, my guess the German stuff may be to your liking.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I got the Makita when I was in a tight spot (HA! pun intended) and have been very happy with it.

If you're not going to use it all day, every day, is seems to be a good bang for the buck.

Joe C.

(all standard disclaimers apply)

Reply to
noonenparticular

You might also consider something like this:

have one from HF that works great for the occasional use. It's not this model but an all metal unit but for the life of me, I can't find it on their website at the moment. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

...btw.. the reason I like the 1/2" is due to its slow speed (0-750). The 3/8 is a bit hasty (0-1500)and makes it a bit more difficult to stop that screw 'just so' even when feathering the paddle... but in everyday use, you'll get to know it soon enough.

Reply to
Robatoy

I got a close quarter drill from JM Tools in Riverside, CA, for $29,95 plus shipping. It is almost a clone of the Milwaukee. I use it as a sander for my bowls. It is a slow speed model and I haven't burned it up after about 40 hours of use with a 3 inch disc. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

The Dewalt 18v is available at Amazon.com for $215 (see

.I have this drill, like it very much and use it all the time. Very high torque.

Reply to
dondone