Ridiculous new tool from Woodpeckers

They are offering an organizer for 189. Just got an email for this:

It's basically 5 off the shelf chalk bags (for climbers) and a bar to mount them to.

You can get a chalk bag for 7.25 individually. So 5 are 36.25, a bar like they are providing is about $5 in parts if you make it yourself.

Let's pay a premium for the name.. yea... lets get raked over the coals.

Reply to
woodchucker

It did not even look like anything I would ever use....

Reply to
Leon

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their marketing meetings. I'm sure some will buy it but I can't imagine that quantity will significant.

Reply to
Meanie

Which then leads to the question why bother? It's just something that makes me dislike the brand more and more. They have a few decent items, and a lot of shit.

I would buy Starret before I ever bought many of their measuring tools. While Starrett is premium, many times it's cheaper than WP.

Reply to
woodchucker

6 bags for $118... wow, such a deal! : ) As someone else mentioned, they are tarnishing their brand...
Reply to
Bill

You are not being fair.

For $189 you get an extra base bracket so you can transfer the bar to a different location when desired.

Now we're talking about a real value!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I, er, get my, er, (appropriatly sized) draw-er-string storage bags, foyer free, every, er, time I buyer my Crown Royal.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Lots of draw string bags around here from the wife's shoe collection.

Oh... :O you didn't know about those? ;)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well this is a product that Woodpeckers sells, or wants to sell. Not knowing their actual cost they may have to sell or try to sell at that price to maintain their profit margin.

Reply to
Leon

Or they could "just say, no thank you" as a way of being respectful to their customers...

Reply to
Bill

Your are assuming that they don't have money to throw away. I certainly would not buy it but there are customers for "todays" Bridge City Tools and Audi's.

Reply to
Leon

They would make good liners for the coffee cans.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Saw that today. It's one of the dumbest things I've seen them do. The $600 doweling jig was at least pretty. I like a lot of their stuff but it seems they're now trying to see how far they can push the envelope.

Reply to
krw

It's not a good idea to tarnish your reputation selling such things because you have to maintain margins. Just don't do it.

Reply to
krw

Their story boards an Peolini (sp?) rules are really nice. It's expensive stuff, to be sure, but it is good.

Reply to
krw

Does anyone store anything in bags in their shop? Everything in my shop is in hard sided containers. I consider cardboard boxes to be hard sided. T he pictures show bolts, screws, Dominoes, dowels in the bags. But all of t hese items come in boxes or maybe tubes from the manufacturer. Why would y ou take the items out of their hard sided containers and put them into thes e soft sided bags? They are easier to store and access in their original h ard sided containers.

Besides the extreme cost, the whole concept seems bizarre to me.

Reply to
russellseaton1

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OTOH, having a somewhat crazy or ridiculous thing to sell does get your stuff and site talked about on the various forums and message boards. A user might just look around a bit and find something they want and make a purchase.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Rags. I have a plastic bag of rags hanging on a hook in my shop. It's a larger-than-grocery-size bag, but with the handles. When hanging on the hook it's "closed" so the dust stays out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Makes sense. My rags are in a bucket. So has WoodPeckers created the most expensive rag holder in the world?

Reply to
russellseaton1

All exposure is good? OK, if you say so but I wouldn't want customers laughing at my products. Someone might hear them.

Reply to
krw