ridgid tools

How do Ridgid tools compare to the rest of the market? In particular I am looking at the 15" drill press. I will be using it relatively regularly, but it won't be getting much hard use. Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Hall

The Ridgid Tool division of Emerson Electric is a far cry from the Ridgid Tool Company, Elyria, Oh, I called on before Emerson bought them.

I was at Ridgid the day it was announced that Emerson had bought them.

There were a lot of glum faces that day. Those people foresaw what was ahead.

Today, the Ridgid name represents little more than a "Henry Home Owner" grade of consumer product.

If that fills your need, fine; however, don't expect to buy a quality product for less than it's fair value.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Emerson bought Ridgid? The information I got was that Ridgid licensed their to Home Depot/Emerson to use on a line of stationary power tools. Ryobi and Metabo are now in on it making the portable ones.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Late 70's.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I just bought one (the model 1550) on closeout a couple of weeks ago from HD for $250. I don't know about the brand new ones, but this particular one was built by Emerson. I couldn't be happier with it. The only difficulty I had with it was getting it out of my Taurus (it took two big guys to stuff it in there at HD but I'm on my own at home).

I traded my next door neighbor a shot of single malt to help me lift the head onto the column. I wish to hell he'd been around earlier when I was trying to muscle it out of the car. But I digress....

This thing has a lot of power, runs smoothly and vibration free. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. FWIW, American Woodworker listed the earlier model

1500 a Best Buy:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yeah, but Emerson no longer makes Ridgid power tools, except for the vacs.

They're now made by the parent company of Ryobi. I've got one of the TS3650 table saws out in the shop. I hope to have time to start assembling it today, or tomorrow. From just looking at it, it's a good contractor's saw.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

I was looking at Ridgid tools in the 'Borg until I found out they were made by Ryobi. At that point I started looking at other brands. Several years ago I bought some Ryobi tools. They were light-weight and I felt they were poorly designed.

They may be totally different now, but I don't want to spend the money to find out.

Reply to
Mark Teller

Well, I can speak for the table saw: it is NOT lightweight. In fact, it may well be the heaviest contractor saw out there. Package weight is 317 pounds, IIRC. It will probably stand up at 300+ pounds.

For a long time, Ryobi's light weight came from a more than usual inclination to use aluminum castings, which made the older 8-1/2" slide compound miter saws a delight to carry around--and the oldest models were durable and accurate. TS220 or TS200? Can't recall which now.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

You will here a lot of info contrary to this but I will give you my nickel anyway. The DP1500 (the older model) press was reviewed in an anual tool issue of FWW I think... as one of the 15" presses with the least amount of runout. I bought it and have been very happy with it. That being said, you will not be able to retrofit the Delta mortising kit to it unless you use custom shims. I used a cheap-o Mastercraft (Crappy tire) mortising kit with the 60mm shim and it works just fine.

Anyway, it may not be the best machine on the market but it seems very good quality (all cast iron... heavy duty motor and nice thick pulley's and idler). Draw your own conclusions. I have not demo'd the newer model... I think it's the DP1550 or 05 or something...

HTH Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

I agree... Unfortunately I had no neighbour handy at the time and yanked it out of my car, down the stairs into the shop alone. Lifting that damn motor/head and aligning it alone is a task I'd rather not repeat. it is a heavy SOB indeed.

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

Harrumph! You should have been around to help me wrestle my Delta

17-925 (expensive, variable speed DP) around. THAT was heavy.

(Oh, no. I hope this doesn't start one of those "you had dirt?" threads)

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

In article ,

I just put togather a Delta 17-965 today (replacing my 12" Delta). The head must be upwards of 150lbs. Putting that on alone was a serious adventure and involved standing on the workbench so I could lift with my legs....

Almost as much fun as putting togather my General [International] tablesaw a couple of years ago. Almost.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Oh, nuts. My wife had no trouble loading a contractor's saw (Ridgid TS2424) into my pick-up Saturday morning. Just lift and shove it forward to where I tied it down. Saw weighs maybe 250 lbs.

Of course, that's one of the major reasons I bought an engine hoist some years ago. Simplfies life considerably in a woodshop.