Ridgid Tools

Hi I think I heard someshere where Ridgid was getting out of the woodworking tool market...I had my eye on their jointer from Home Depot...Anyone have any comments on this jointer and/or know if HD is having any deals Pat

Reply to
Pat & Maryann Dwan

Pat,

Can't tell you if HD has any deals or if there's going to be support for this product in the future, although I think there will be through Emerson Tools, but I can tell you I have the jointer and am very happy with it. Came well packaged, easy to set up, seemed well put together. I didn't get out the machinist square and start taking measurements, but for my first project after getting it, I did joint and edge join a number of pieces of oak and the edges were nice and clean. Used it moderatly since then and am still happy with it after about a year.

Blades are standard size and you can get them through Freud.

A good jointer at a good price.

Jo

Reply to
JLJ21710

The reviews, both from users and magazines, are positive.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I've got it, along with several other Ridgid tools, and love all of them. Flames coming.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

I'll agree. I got mine for $379.

Jointers aren't exactly high tech. If I didn't get the Ridgid for that price, I probably would have gone for a Sunhill or Grizzly for the same ballpark price. I doubt I would have spent the extra $125 for a Jet or Delta 6".

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I don't have the jointer but I do have the 3650 TS. It's a great saw and easily compares to Jet, Delta, etc.. The fence is pretty good too, locks square to the table. As far as anyone knows, the Ridgid woodworking tool line will continue. They just shifted manufacturing from Emerson Tools to One World Technologies ( the maunfacturer of Ryobi). I personally don't care who makes what as long as it is quality. The Ryobi brand is targeted at the average, budget minded DIY'er, while the RIdgid line is aimed at competing with the big boys like Dewalt, Makita, Delta, etc. I don't know if Ridgid will be around 5-10 years from now, but most people who OWN them have good things to say and don't regret it. . I extensively researched the different brands and EACH ONE has their share of horror stories. OBTW, Ridgid offers a

90 day money back gaurantee. If you are unsatisfied with the tool for ANY reason you can return it for a full refund. Also, the warantee on the newest models is 3 years if purchased after Dec 31, 2003. The misleading "lifetime warranty" has been appropriately nixed. And no, I am not a Ridgid employee or fanboy: just giving my .02.

woodworking

Reply to
Belleauwood

I, too, have the 3650 TS and agree it's a great saw, $597. I got mine with a 10% off coupon, another reason to be happy.

Reply to
Lee K

My understanding (but my understanding is sometimes fuzzy), was that emerson (the mfr for Ridgid) - was going to contract out the manufacture of machines to a taiwanese company. As far as I am concerned, this means little in terms of the product, since there is wide range of quality coming out of Taiwan - from absolute junk to some very fine tools (i.e. Jet). I imagine that anything in HD now is still from the emerson factory, and I would keep an eye on the quality in the years to come as the transition happens.

Reply to
Mark in Maine

Actually, I think all new production is from the new supplier now. They changed the colors of all the large tools like the CMS, RAS, and the bandsaw. All of the cordless and corded tools are most certainly from the new supplier as Home Depot didn't sell that stuff when Emerson was the supplier.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert