Ridgid Thickness Planer Knives

This afternoon I had to use my second set of knives that originally came with the planer. Decided I would try and pick up a spare set for the next time when I would be in the middle of a project and not want to have to stop and run out. Good thing. The BORG does not stock them. The best part was that there was nobody in the store who could come up with a suggestion except to call "Bob" the tool dept manager next week.
I could always contact Ridgid and I am sure they would be happy to sell me a set for $30 or more plus shipping. But before I do that I wonder if anyone has ever had these knives sharpened and if so do you have any advice? Thanks ..

I hone mine with 800 grit wrapped around a maple block, after I clean them up. Never sent them to be sharpened, but I can't imagine they'd be cheaper than new, done commercially.
The 800 number for Ridgid parts was really responsive, and quite reasonable, when I did something stupid and broke my planer last winter. Give them a call Tuesday.
Patriarch
DIYGUY wrote:

My local Borg stocks the knives, sporadically. I pick them up when I see them, even if I don't need them. However, I also have their spindle sander. They have never stocked the replacements, but they do carry the Ryobi ones, but not the Ryobi sander... I think that whoever orders stock in these places has not a clue.
--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
Bill B wrote:

FWIW - the teenage clerk that tried to help me had a funny reply to my comment that selling the tool without the blades would be like selling a saw and not stocking saw blades. He said they sell the Ryobi cordless drills in the 12V and 14.4V sizes, but get this, they don't sell chargers or replacement batteries. Geesh - I guess we really have to pay attention to all kinds of details when making a purchase these days. Glad to hear you can get the blades. Maybe I should call around and see if any of the other BORGs carry them.

Well that really does make since in this situation. I went to buy 2 new batteries for me dad's drill and found that a whole new drill, 2 batteries, and charger was $10 cheaper than buying 2 new batteries.
<<FWIW - the teenage clerk that tried to help me had a funny reply to my comment that selling the tool without the blades would be like selling a saw and not stocking saw blades. He said they sell the Ryobi cordless drills in the 12V and 14.4V sizes, but get this, they don't sell chargers or replacement batteries. Geesh - I guess we really have to pay attention to all kinds of details when making a purchase these days. >>
Any information you get from a high school kid in an orange (or blue) apron at the Borg is suspect. It's quite a leap of faith on your part to assume he was right about this.
Lee

I suspect you could order them on line from HD.