Ridgid table saw - new

Page 2 of 3
Han wrote:

I'll keep this in mind for when I build that plutonium armoire. :-)
--

-MIKE-

<snip>

Plutonium is not too radioactive, ie radiation from plutonium is not that strong (I believe). Pure uranium is very weak alpha radiation, just about harmless. One of the biggest problems of plutonium is that is very toxic especially the dust. Of course, if you exceed the critical mass, there is going to be a lot of ashes.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

If you read this with a lisp, it's much funnier.
--

-MIKE-

This thread got me thinking last night. How about a "Value Package" for the tablesaw?
You buy a new cabinet saw with thick granite top. The underside, however, is engraved with your name and date of birth. This serves two purposes. If your saw is stolen and recovered, you can easily provide proof of ownership. Next, after you die, it serves as your tombstone.
Han wrote:

Ashes. Ashes. We all fall down.     and melt.
    happy days,     smilin' ja4ck

Works for me.. maybe the belt grinder table, too?

Further south, almost to Cabo for that... We're only 120 miles south of the CA/AZ border and on the Sea of Cortez.. Lots of sea bass, shrimp, etc. here though..

Maybe the belt grinder table, too? (bandsaw is in the shop)

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I'll lay odds that the fracture toughness of cast iron is greater than granite. The next time I'm near a Charpy tester, I'll try to find out. Might have to wait a while, tho. It's 20 years and counting as of now...
todd

Forget why I was doing something so stupid, but for some reason I felt was good enough at the time, I was tapping with a hammer around the throat plate on my Steel City granite-topped saw and chipped the stone. Tiny chip, but the sharp edges are very sensitive to impacts.
A valuable lesson, with essentially no impact on the top, but I will never go near it with a hammer again, I tell you whut.
Don't think a cast top woulda cared about what I was doing.
D'ohBoy
Puckdropper wrote:

There also seem to be a lot of accessories that use a magnet to hold to the top. So do the advantages of granite outweigh the inability to use these?
John Siegel wrote:

I sometimes like to use the magnetic base for my dial indicator to "remember" the position of my fence so I can come back to it at after performing some other cut (if its presence doesn't interfere in some way). Sometimes this allows me to insert spacer blocks (like those brass setup gauges) to offset the fence a specific distance from a known position, then return to the original position once the secondary cut is performed. Can't do that with a granite top.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I'm in the granite/quartz/solidsurface bidniss, and I still think cast- iron is the way the go....IF done right. Nothing worse than a bad piece of cast iron, and even though it seems to be getting better across the board, there are still some pretty crappy castings out there. But if flat is what you're after and something that stays flat, granite is your solution. These mill- wrights don't haul those slabs of reference granite around for no reason. Besides, granite is pretty and it doesn't rust.
As for the ability to use magnets? I haven't used a magnetic anything on a TS top in 30+ years. Jointers and planers yes.

Featherboard in a mitre slot then?

Yup... I just never trusted the magnetic ones. They're okay for light work, I suppose, and better than none, but for that positive security, I prefer the mitre-slot.

I bought these ones this past summer and they worked well without any slipping that I noticed. I suppose with enough leverage, most anything magnetic can be moved, but the convenience of being able to place them most anywhere on the table saw negated any worry I might have had about slipping.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pU999&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1

yep.. that's the mag locks.. love em..
I've bought 3 of these since: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID 7833&FamilyID 128
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Lee Valley's website says it uses magnetic clamps with a combined breakaway strength of 210 lb. I figure if they fail to do the job they're designed for, then I'm not cutting my wood properly (or safely) and there's a problem somewhere else.

I definitely trust the mag loc not to move.. Two 30mm rare earth magnets on each of the two locks on that puppy..
I trust it more than a miter slot, unless the jig or feather board has slot adjusters..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

how do t slots cut in a granite top last? i would think one could pop the side of them out with an energetic t bolt tightening. granite isn't that strong when it's milled thinly.

Gag me with a push stick..... that's so 90's.. rofl
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Damn good point! Don't know if the saw would be as much fun with out my Mag-lock feather boards and jigs..