Ridgid planer on sale, is it worth it?

I was at my local BORG last night and saw three Ridgid 13" planers in the clearance section. I saw no price so I thought I'd give it a try and ask if they were included, not expecting that they would be. Well they are! The question I have is are they worth it? It's the 13" model, ususally sels for $399, now $329. I don't knwo much more like the Model number, I was in a hurry at the time, and of course HD's web site sucks and doesn't list it. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben

I've been very happy with mine. But I'm not a heavy user, maybe once every 2 months or so for a couple years now.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

YES YES YES YES OH GOD YES!!!!!!!!! (C:

I got mine at regular price, and I love it. I posted yesterday in response to someone else's question re: the Ridgid planer, but to recap--it required no tweaking--took it out of the box and it worked. Honestly the most difficult thing was to set up the stand. It also came with a chip-collector hood, which was SCHWEET. Plugs right into my dust collector. It's snipe-free, relatively quiet (for a planer), and works on everything I put through it. The finish is stain-ready--no sanding required.

I absolutely love mine. YMMV.

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I'll give you the obvious answer, Ben. "depends on what you plan to do with it."

I run a custom cabinetry business from my 2 1/2 car garage. I have always kept one thing in mind when purchasing new equipment: "Go big or stay home" and I have never regretted it. All of the equipment in the shop is high end/high power, except....

for my 13" Rigid planer purchased from the BORG about a 1.5 years ago. I had been shopping a 20"+ planer for a while. Looked at Powermatic, Jet, etc. I was set on the Powermatic when my old 13" delta planer broke down on a job site. I was a few hours from home (and my shop, and any tool retailers) in a dimly populated area in mid-michigan. I had no choice but to run to the nearest BORG (about 1.25 hours) and grab the only model they had in stock - the rigid. ALthough I am still planning on replacing it with the Powermatic (when I have $1700 laying around), it has served us well on an almost daily basis for over a year.

Only caveat - it doesnt have a whole lot of power. keep the knives very sharp and don't try to take off too much in a single pass.

good luck

Reply to
RemodGuy

On 30 Jan 2004 PC Gameplayer) apparently had an orgasm while typing:

No problems with mine but maybe if you hold out a bit longer the price will drop even lower. Was fortunate to buy one during the 40% off Yellow Tag Event. Do they do the 40% off thing any more?

TomL

Reply to
TomL

"Ben" wrote in news:401a708e$0$43852$ snipped-for-privacy@news.twtelecom.net:

TP1300 was the one I bought. Pretty sure this is and Emerson tool, and not one of the 'new breed'. Unless you either: a) Don't really NEED a thickness planer, or b) NEED a much larger, heavier duty tool, the Ridgid planer is a good deal, especially at $329.

Things to consider:

  • Buy a couple of extra sets of blades while you're there, and put them away in your shop. When you need them, you'll need them right away.
  • Figure out a mobile base option, because dragging the planer and base around will get old in a hurry.
  • Buy or find a scrap of MDF, or melamine or similar, and make a bed insert, if you want to thin stock below 4/4.
  • Then hook up the shop vac or DC, and make chips!

The first time I changed the blades, it took me 45 minutes. The second time, 10 minutes. Don't try to take off too much with one pass (1/16" maybe? with hardwoods.)

Unless I needed the $1700 Powermatic, or the old Parks planer that Keeter envies, this Ridgid would be my choice again.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Yes, for $329, it's a good buy and still a good planer. The latest reviews still pit it against the new two speed Delta and DeWalts, and it holds its own.

I have had mine for 2 or 3 years and love it. Granted, I'd probably shell out the money for the new DeWalt today, but if cost is a factor with you, buy the Ridgid.

my .02 Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Doesn't the Ridgid 3100 use double edge replaceable blades? I had thought these are indexed to fit right into the holder without messing with jacks and height adjustment. What was the problem you encountered on the first blade change vs the second?

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob

-snip

I had the Jet portable years ago, sold it and bought the 13" Planer/Molder stationary Jet model. While it is quite, compared to the portable ones, I have a lot of snipe problems.

I recently bought the Ridgid TP1300, and of the three, this is the one I like the best. This is based on snipe free, easy usage. The big Jet unit can still be used for the *big* jobs, but I haven't had the need to crank it up for several months now.

My advice, you can't go wrong, especially at $329!!!

Reply to
Gary

The problem isn't the blades, its that cheap wrench they include in the kit...

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Cape Cod Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

snipped

Inexperience. Clumsiness. Needing to get it done fast.

All I was indicating was that, it's a simple job, once you figure it out.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch