ridgid planer

looking at the ridgid planer. Anyone out there have or used one. Price seems right for me $369.00 at HD with an extra set of blades

I have both the ryobi planner and the ridgid planner, The ridgid is a much better planner and does everything I need in my shop. For the price , I think it is a great machine..
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
thanks for the info
wrote:

I have both the ryobi planner and the ridgid planner, The ridgid is a much better planner and does everything I need in my shop. For the price , I think it is a great machine..
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
bob kater wrote:

Bob, I am on my second Ridgid planer, I love it. The first one died because I was planing 22' board that was 1" at one end the it went to 1 1/2" Should have measured the other end first. It was just to much stress on the machine and it broke. More my error then the machine. I have had the second one fore almost 4 years now and it sees a good use between my father-in-law as well as me. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Richard

Have to remember that one!

Ditto.

Another little something to remember, if the power fails for some reason be sure to turn the planer off before the power comes back on, preferably immediately. If the planer knives are dug into the wood when the power is off and the power comes back on the planer will probably try to start and the cutter head belt could burn up. Been there, done that.
Home Depot has it for 369.00 but will take an instant 60 dollars off that price as a special on any tools purchased this month. Sounds like a good deal to me here in Fayetteville N.C. They had 1 and now have none.

Good for you! Now you have to post here and let us know how you like it!
Robert

I too have a Rigid planer and love it. One thing I did was build a cabinet on wheels so I could move it around the shop. The stand that came with the planer was of little use to me, my work area does not allow for stationary tools.
Matt

Interesting, Matt... I ended up bolting short lengths of 2x4 to the legs (after taking off the plastic caps) and putting a set of large casters on my Ridgid planer..
over the last 4 or 5 years I've bought a band saw, table saw and planer and after shopping a while I ended up with all Ridgid tools..
mac
Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing
Bought the new planer yesterday for 309 bucks. HD special gave me 60 bucks off. Did an outstanding job right out of the box. set it up and built a table for it and it was good to go. Dust collection leaves a little to be desired but I only use a 5 gallon wet vac on it. Price was right and lifetime service warranty. If money is an issue this is a great buy.