Ridgid planer

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:43:26 -0600, Terry Parker

Rigid? No. Emerson electric, the former maker of Rigid power tools? Yes, they've already quit making power tools. The tools you are looking at are most likely made by Ryobi, under the name Rigid, which is either licensed to or owned by Home Depot.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Barry,
Check out the subject line for the correct spelling of the company name. There is no "Rigid"... at last not on the side of my table saw. It's "Ridgid".
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 02:26:41 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Thanks! My spell checker fixed it. <G> I own a Ridgid jointer.
Barry
Save money and buy Grizzly
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Terry Parker" <Terry_Parker@spammers_are_trash.com> wrote in message
Well, if you believe FWW reviews the true Ridgid jointer and planer (not the newer Taiwanese versions) are quite good. I own the 13" planer and find it very good indeed. As for the 6" jointer, it came out ahead of many of the others. I have not used it, but I believe it should be no worse than others and may be slightly better in some respects (tool storage, fence adjustment). It is a shame that Emerson gave up the battle because they really did have a good thing going with their emphasis on user-centered design and quality backed with a lifetime warranty. BTW - the two BORGs near me still have inventory left of the old production runs. Mixed in with the inventory is the newer stuff. I wonder how many people will spot the obvious differences ...
Terry Parker wrote:

Bought the Jointer just before Xmas but have not had a chance to use it yet. Everything I read and heard about them was great! BTW, if you opt for a spare set of blades, try to get them via the BORG as they are a whol;e cheaper that way ($25 vs $37 IIRC).
Terry Parker wrote:

I don't know the affect of who builds the Ridgid brand now vs a year or two ago, but Ridgid generally gets good reviews among the magazine reviews. I bought the planer based on a very positive review a little over a year ago (bought it Dec/2002). I've been extremely pleased with it. It's the only planer I've used though so I can't compare it to others. A recent mag reviewed 14" bandsaws and again the Ridgid brand did quite well if I recall correctly.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Terry Parker" <Terry_Parker@spammers_are_trash.com> wrote in message

The _company_ did get out of making power tools. Then they *licensed* the name to Home Depot, who has the proverbial "somebody else" making tools for them, under the Ridgid name.
Ridgid _never_ made power tools (unless you count electric pipe threaders) as far as I know. First generation of HD Ridgid-branded tools were Emerson, current portable line are mostly Ryobi with a little Metabo tossed in.
GTO(John)

I thought Ryobi was made by Emerson...
(not a great memory though)

Ryobi is owned by a massive Taiwanese company called Techtronics. They own a lot of companies of questionable quality, like Homelite. Emerson used to make Sears' stuff, before it went from bad to terrible.
GTO(John)
On 05 Feb 2004 16:33:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

Ridgid Power Tools WAS a division of Emerson (as is the Ridgid plumbing tool line under a separate division). Emerson did make them exclusively for Home Depot. Emerson has stopped making Ridgid Power Tools and HD goes elsewhere.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in message wrote:

I stopped by a local HD the other day and noted that they had no Ridgid hand tools in stock, probably quite carrying them altogether.
I'm rapidly running out of reasons to go to HD.
--

FF

If they sold the name, I imagine Ridge tool would no longer have the right to use it.
Nice pipe wrenches though.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:04:53 -0500, "George"

as far as I know, they only licensed the name for power tools. for a time you could get both ridge manufactured hand tools and emmerson manufactured ridgid branded stuff at HD. these days I'll go to pretty extreme lengths to avoid borging, so I'm thankfully not up to date on what they stock. I suspect that the lack of ridgid hand tools at HD has more to do with a price point decision than anything else. basically, the quality was too good, so they replaced it with chinese made stuff.

I hope they are still n=making hand tools on RIdge Rd in Elyria, Ohio.
I also hope they still have calendars.
--

FF

fredfighter states:

They're still in Elyria.
Check out: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Calendar/index.htm for the new calendar--$8.50.
Charlie Self "We're 269 days from the election, and that's several political lifetimes." TERRY HOLT, Bush campaign spokesman.
On 07 Feb 2004 20:29:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
|fredfighter states: | |> |>I hope they are still n=making hand tools on RIdge Rd in Elyria, Ohio.|> |>I also hope they still have calendars.|> |> | |They're still in Elyria. | |Check out: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Calendar/index.htm |for the new calendar--$8.50.
But do you wnat one of those in the shop with all of the whirring blades and other razor-sharp objects? [g]

It appears they have made a significant editorial change to their calendar. It no longer features photos of their tools, so I guess I'll skip buying it.
Thanks anyways.
--

FF

fredfighter reponds:

Huh? The ONLY Ridge Tools calendars I've ever seen had models, but not of their tools.
Charlie Self "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain