Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sander

Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a spindle and edge belt sander.
I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.
Mike
I have been using a Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sander, that a friend gave me about a year ago. He had it for about 3-4 years and it stopped oscillating. After trying to fix it, he just bought a new one. Same model, different color. I took it apart, and put it back together and it's been working since! I love it. I have a 12" disc sander on an old 10er Shopsmith, that I had been using, but now use the belt. The oscillating aspect of it makes it sand better, and the belts last longer. I really like the spindle sander. I'm sure for a lot more bucks, you could buy an industrial model, that would have more power, but I find for my use It's great. I sand 2x stock with it with no problems. Hope this helps you decide. Cliff

They are two different tools. I have the Rigid and love it, but it is strictly light duty. If you want to hog off large amounts of wood, go for the belt/disc sander.
Toller wrote:

Let me ask you a question. Assuming you do wood working as a hobby, would you rather have the Rigid spindle/belt, or a $200 belt/disc sander? I would pick the Rigid. I find I use the spindle a lot. The fact that the belt and spindle oscillate, makes a big difference. I once saw a shop made deal that used a motor to oscillate the quill on a drill press for sanding. Cliff

Definitely the Rigid; just be aware its not a heavy duty tool.
Toller, I don't understand your comment. The Ridgid has a larger motor and they both have 4" belts. Wouldn't the Ridgid be just as good or better for removing lots of wood?
Mike

It is a matter of construction. To accomplish the oscillating motion, they sacrifice ruggedness. For instance, you must use DC with the Rigid or it will just jam up; you won't find that on a normal belt sander. I have had mine for 3 years and it is doing fine; but I have been careful with it.