Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sander

Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a spindle and edge belt sander.

I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

I have been using a Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sander, that a friend gave me about a year ago. He had it for about 3-4 years and it stopped oscillating. After trying to fix it, he just bought a new one. Same model, different color. I took it apart, and put it back together and it's been working since! I love it. I have a 12" disc sander on an old 10er Shopsmith, that I had been using, but now use the belt. The oscillating aspect of it makes it sand better, and the belts last longer. I really like the spindle sander. I'm sure for a lot more bucks, you could buy an industrial model, that would have more power, but I find for my use It's great. I sand 2x stock with it with no problems. Hope this helps you decide. Cliff

Reply to
sailor

They are two different tools. I have the Rigid and love it, but it is strictly light duty. If you want to hog off large amounts of wood, go for the belt/disc sander.

Reply to
Toller

Let me ask you a question. Assuming you do wood working as a hobby, would you rather have the Rigid spindle/belt, or a $200 belt/disc sander? I would pick the Rigid. I find I use the spindle a lot. The fact that the belt and spindle oscillate, makes a big difference. I once saw a shop made deal that used a motor to oscillate the quill on a drill press for sanding. Cliff

Reply to
sailor

Definitely the Rigid; just be aware its not a heavy duty tool.

Reply to
Toller

Toller, I don't understand your comment. The Ridgid has a larger motor and they both have 4" belts. Wouldn't the Ridgid be just as good or better for removing lots of wood?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

It is a matter of construction. To accomplish the oscillating motion, they sacrifice ruggedness. For instance, you must use DC with the Rigid or it will just jam up; you won't find that on a normal belt sander. I have had mine for 3 years and it is doing fine; but I have been careful with it.

Reply to
Toller

I've had my Ridgid for a few years now. One of those things that gets used most every project for something. Very good for a typical home shop. No, it is not a commercial grade product, but it does everything it is designed to do. The belt/disk is OK for many things, but a spindle sander sure is nice for inside of curves. If you have the money and space for only one, I'd go for the Ridgid.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks. That's the advice I was looking for.

Mike