Ridgid Miter Saw Blade RPMs - 3600 vs. 5500

Am looking at the Ridgid miter saws - 10" or 12". The 12" saw comes with a stand, on top of the greater cutting capacity.

However, the blade speed is much lower - 3600 RPMs - than the Ridgid

10" - 5500 RPMs. Will this affect performance significantly? Or, does the larger blade somehow counter the slower revolutions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Squanklin

Tip speed comparison is 12/10 * 36/55 ~= 0.8 so the 12" has 20% slower tip speed than the 10". Doubt you could tell it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

With two different sized blades spinning at the same speed the larger diameter blade would have a faster rim speed (surface feet per minute (sfpm)).

A 10" diameter blade spinning at 5500 RPM has a rim speed of 14399 sfpm. A 12" diameter blade spinning at 3600 RPM has a rim speed of 11310 sfpm.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Reply to
HMFIC- 1369

ok

Reply to
fg

Tip speed is a wash.

12", 3600*12*pi = 43200*pi (Inches/minute) 10", 5500*10*pi = 55000*pi (Inches/minute)

What size lumber do you need to cut?

Usually, bigger is better, but not always.

I have no need of 12" capacity as an example.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I bought the 12" around a year ago and I love it! I have not used the 12" greater capacity often, but I have a few times and I was happy that I had it.

Incidentaly, my 12" blade speed is 4000 RPM, both in the booklet and on the sticker on the saw. But I have checked their website and it does indeed look it is now 3600 RPM.

Maybe you can still find one of those older 4000 RPM units in some borg stores around...

Reply to
Luc

Well, that 12" capacity can come in handy for large crown at an angle--

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Talk about deja vu all over again... I just went through all that. I made sufficient budget available to get THE mitre saw I wanted, damn the expense. I also took my sweet time. Did the FAQs, did the DAGS.

In my countertop business, I see a lot of kitchen installers...drove them nuts with questions... played with their saws.

These things are highly personal, like fire-arms. Once you decide on the size of the game, you can eliminate a whole bunch of mitre saws right away. I simply could not envision ever needing a 12". I worked with a 10" Delta, no slide, no tilt for over 20 years with some pretty decent results, including a few thousand feet of crown. (If I had a lot of outside angles on bigger crown, I'd bring my trusty 12" disc sander for that ultra-tight fit... tighter than a frog's ass and that is water-tight.) A 10" with a little extra slide, will make up for that little bit of diameter of the 12".

12" blades cost more and the 10" field is far more competitive; much more selection in 10" at much better prices. Portability wasn't going to be an issue, as any saw was going to get mounted on the RIDGID Mitre Saw Utility Vehicle Model AC9940 because it is functional, cool, handy, solid and nothing I could build for that little money. (About $ 150.00 US) 99%+ of my cuts would be small stuff anyway and saw no need to wind up a few extra pounds of whirling steel. Those big wheels just don't feel 'surgical' to me. So.. a 10" slider it was...

Bought it...and boy am I happy.

Reply to
Robatoy

woops... bought the Makita LS 1013. Much nicer than the Ridgid.

Reply to
Robatoy