Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

Reply to
Jack

Jack wrote in news:nanb7b$er6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

These went up in price since I ordered... um I guess it was 3 years ago. Still, at $6.50 a bag it's still not bad.

These attach to the suction inlet and trap the dust in the bag. It's not like the shop vac paper filter that goes over the foam. The original filter stays in place.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'd say that depends on what you are using them for. I pretty much stopped using my canister vac because the corrugated paper filter clogs up almoat immediately if you are sucking fine dust. The ones like you linked work well but my drum sander fills them in a very short time, at least one, maybe two per hour. Shame they can't be (easily) emptied and reused. Since they can't, I'll stick with my dust collector.

Reply to
dadiOH

I use the Ridgid brand filter bags from my local Home Depot. They end up costing about $9 a piece, but each bag lasts a long time:

Since I started using the filter bags I haven't changed the pleated filter in years. The filter bags work great for fine dust like that from a sander, drywall dust, and even COLD ash from the wood stove.

If you change the bag before it gets completely full, you can usually get the bag out without spilling the dust all over. If you wait too long it gets too big to remove from the tank without tearing. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

OK... no kidding... that makes perfect sense. I always thought that the mo rtises had to be nearly perfect for the actual Domino biscuit to work. Now I understand. This is kind of an "AHA!!" moment for me as I couldn't figu re out how anyone could get multiple dominoes places on the same surface wi thout the kind of accuracy that would make Krenov blush. Makes more sense, now.

I have no doubt. I have never heard of that little "fudge factor" that wou ld make the tool imminently more usable. Doubtful most Domino owners have either.

Read it a couple of times, but once I got the squirrel moving, my brain cau ght up with it. Makes perfect sense.

I used a clamp on model of the dowel drilling guide, one that had a long fl ange on it so that it could be secured to the work with a squeeze clamp. I t was a nice shop fixture, but undoubtedly we had alignment problems as you described. My solution (so kill me already...) was about the same as your Domino work around. One side of a glue up was drilled with the manufactur er's intended 1/4" dowels. The other I drilled with a slightly bigger hole to get that same fudge factor.

Not all that elegant, but it worked.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41