Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

Page 6 of 6
Leon wrote:

NP. They make sense once one knows about it.

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach :)
On 2/14/2016 10:57 AM, dadiOH wrote:

As do I. I use it more often that I ever though I would. Great for veneers, wood with crazy grain, and I always use it after resawing lumber. With all of those 3D boxes I built late last year the drum sander saw a lot of work.
Like most any tool you find more uses for it when you actually have it in the shop. Otherwise you use some other method that might be more tedious. My Domino is a perfect example of a tool that wildly exceeded my expectations of how much I would use it.
On 2/13/2016 8:13 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I will chime in here since I have the Ridgid jointer.
In general, I am very happy with mine. It runs and cuts smoothly. The bed is long enough that you can really create a straight edge on a board. The bed height and the fence position adjustment are simple and straight forward. It came out of the box with the infeed and outfeed tables parallel. The tables are flat. (There is a minor 0.002 inch dip on one far corner of the infeed table but that is definitely not a problem since there is plenty of flat table before you get to the cutter head.)
My only complaint is that the adjustment for the tilt of the fence seems a little strange to me. (This is my first and only jointer so I do not have any other data points for comparison.) The tilt adjustment articulates at a couple of points so that the fence can move up and down while adjusting the tilt. Since I wanted a small gap between the fence and the table tops, I used a piece of card stock to position the fence vertically while adjusting the tilt. I set it to 90 degrees when I first got the jointer and I have not changed it since.
I bought the jointer is 2009. At that time it was listed at $428. I decided to buy it when Home Depot was having a 1/2 price sale. (I think that the reason for the sale was that this is when Home Deopt decided to no longer stock the jointers in the store.) I thought that $214 was a fair price. When I got to the store, the price that they charged me was $107 plus tax. I asked and they checked and that was the price that they had in their computer. The sales guy asked me if I wanted the second unit that they had in stock. I did not have room for a second unit and it was a good price but I declined.
Dan

You suck.
On 2/14/2016 3:22 PM, Dan Coby wrote:

Wholly crap, that's a great price. No wonder they are hurting.. They halved, their half price..... :-O That's your gain.
I would have bought the second one, come back and given it to a friend for that price.
--
Jeff

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 10:16:13 AM UTC-6, HerHusband wrote:

There's a used 6" powermatic in Portland for $475. Check it out.... Make an offer?... if it's still available. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/5455011649.html
A 6" Jet in Vancouver for $450. Make an offer if still available. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/5456569023.html
Sonny