Ridgid 6" Jointer

Hi Home Depot is closing out the 6" Ridgid Jointers for $ 399 as Ridgid is getting out of the large woodworking tool market. I've heard good reports about it and I am thinking Ridgid vs Powermatic but as you know Powermatic is much more $$$. almost twice. Anyone have any advice or experience with Ridgid. Thanks Pat

Reply to
Pat & Maryann Dwan

I picked one up a JP06101 during the 20% frenzy before Xmas and actually like it. It's good and heavy and solid but I am growing bothered by the fact that none of the HD stores near me carry a spare set of blades for the machine -- and the ridgidparts.com web site doesn't even list them for special order for that model! If spare blades aren't readily available, my unit's going back and I'll settle for the comparable Delta.

Reply to
Steve

jointer blades are for the most part generic. there are a few variations of width and thickness, but unless there is something unusual about the blades for this machine you should do fine with sets supplied by your local sharpening shop.

Reply to
Bridger

"Steve" wrote in news:UvDJb.285200$J77.210910@fed1read07:

Steve,

The JP0610 and its predecessor, the JP0600, use the same knives (part number AC8600). Looks like the accessories listing on the RIDGIDParts site hasn't been updated to reflect that fact.

If a Home Depot near you doesn't stock them, the knives can be ordered at the Special Services desk. That's not as convenient as being able to walk into a store and pluck them from a shelf, but it is an option. Last I checked (a few months ago) the knives were selling for about $25. Some of the tool departments I've been in had a pad of two-sided order form for RIDGID tool accessories.

Since One World Technologies took over their manufacture, parts for RIDGID power tools are available on-line from OrderTree at .

Another option is the telephone number for ordering "Woodworking Power Tool parts or accessories" posted on the

site: 1-866-

539-1710. (My guess is that is just a RIDGID-dedicated line into OrderTree--does anyone out there know for sure?).

Along with the change in manufacturer, RIDGID power tools are no longer exclusive to The Home Depot. Parts and accessories can be ordered by any authorized distributor or vendor of RIDGID tools. There's a search tool on the RIDGID web site: .

A Google search turned up Roberts Sales and Service , which has apparently added RIDGID tools and accessories to their Ryobi offerings. (I've never dealt with them).

Consider also that knives to fit RIDGID jointers are available from other manufacturers. Freud and Jesada come to mind at the moment, but there are probably others.

Cheers,

Lowell

Reply to
Lowell Kinzer

Reply to
Grandpa

I looked at that jointer a couple of months ago. Also compared with Delta and jet. At Lowes the Delta was $349. Checked yesterday and it was the same price. Also the Delta has 3 knives the Ridgid has 2. Jim

Reply to
Jim Heater

Thanks to each of you for the info on replacement knives for the Ridgid JP06010. Your inforamtion is extremely reassuring to say the very least :-)

(With the changeover to OWT as the mfr I was getting apprehensive, at least for the short term. And from what I'm given to understand, that Ordertree.com outfit is ridiculously overpriced and not all that reliable as a parts source for Ryobi tools. Time will only tell how they turn out to be for Ridgid.)

Reply to
Steve

I'll try to keep this a secret from my jointer -- I sure don't want it to drop that third knife on the ground and become unbalanced!

Reply to
Steve

"Jim Heater" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com:

The RIDGID JP0610 6" Jointer is equipped with three knives. Perhaps you overlooked one.

As for the $349 jointer at Lowe's, that would be the Delta ShopMaster 6" Deluxe Jointer Model JT360 (formerly Model 37-190), a somewhat less capable machine than the RIDGID in my opinion. The most notable differences between the JT360 and the RIDGID jointer are motors and fences. The JT360 has a 3/4 HP motor, the RIDGID a 1 HP motor. The JT360 fence is a post-mounted lightweight, the RIDGID a hefty casting-mounted fence. If I recall correctly the fence on the JT360 isn't designed to be skewed for face-jointing burl woods at an angle (I'm sure JT360/37-190 users will let me know if I'm wrong). The fence on the RIDGID jointer is. Also, the JT360 warranty is two years vice three years for the RIDGID.

If you're going to compare the RIDGID JP0610 to a Delta product, a closer match would be the Delta X5 37-275X 6" Professional Jointer (formerly Model 37-195) the price of which is typically $100 to $150 more than the RIDGID. Both machines have 1 HP motors. The rack-and-pinion mechanism of the 37-275X allows for precise adjustment of the fence across the bed, though I question whether such precision is needed. I don't recall if the

37-275X fence can be skewed. The 37-275X has nice closed stand vice the open stand of the RIDGID. The 37-275X has a five-year warranty vice three years for the RIDGID.

And just to throw a little more fuel on the electronic bonfire, the Winter 2002 edition of the Fine Woodworking Annual Tools & Shops included a review of several 6" jointers. The RIDGID JP0610 was ranked number two. The $749 Powermatic 54A snagged the top spot.

DISCLAIMER: My only affiliation, if any exists, with the manufacturers/vendors named above is as a customer.

Cheers,

Lowell

Reply to
Lowell Kinzer

If they are the ones I spoke to last week then they are somewhat higher. The Ridgid knife set for the JP0610 Jointer is $24.95 in HD, $33.75 incl S&H mail order. Being that its a small plastic box 6" long and

1.5" deep and wide and addt'l $9 is excessive IMO.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa

Sears sells 6-1/8th inch knives that fit the Ridgid Jointer/Planer. They're part number 922995 and retail at $24.95 -- and right now you can scarf up a set of three blades for 10% off with your Craftsman Club card.

Reply to
Steve