Ridgid 2 1/2" finish nailer advise

I need a finish nailer to rebuild my porch railing and also will be used later for trim work around house, base board, window trim etc. I have a PC framing gun and also a Ridgid 1/4" crown stapler, also a HF brad nailer I like both but am leaning toward the Ridgid nailer from experience with the crown stapler. the angled nailer is 15 guage and the straight nailer is 16 guage Anyone have any thoughts on the guage size and the Ridgid guns
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Finish-Nailers/EN/index.htm
Thanks CC

I personally have been using an angle 15 gauge finish nailer for about 20 years. It gets into tighter spots, the nails are a bit more stout, and they are a bit less likely to deflect.
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:29:21 -0500, "Leon"

How or why would the fact that the nailer is straight or angled affect the strength of the nail? 15ga is 15ga, right?
G.S.

15 is 15, correct but the OP mentioned,
"the angled nailer is 15 gauge and the straight nailer is 16 gauge"
I really do not know if 15 and or 16 is offered in both orientations.
I was simply pointing out that the 15 gauge would be a more robust fastener compared to the 16 gauge and that angle nailers get into tighter spots.
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:40:41 -0500, "Leon"

Sorry. I missed that you were comparing the different gauge size and thought you were comparing straight vs. angled.
G.S.

Sometimes you have to be a mind reader with me. ;~)
message wrote:

The angled nailer is only offered in 15 and the straight nailer in 16 gauge. CC

Thanks Leon, that is about what I had been thinking too, I believe the larger gauge would be better for doing for doing porch rails and baseboards. The angle would probably make it easier to get into places too. CC

As was mentioned, anglers can not only do straight but are great for tighter spots such as corners.
I have the Ridgid nailers, thus far a brad and a finish and ready for a framing, which will be Ridgid. They are dependable guns with several features such as the swivel hose connector, depth control, exhaust direction control, easy loading, etc. You can't go wrong.

I had the Ridgid 16Ga nailer and wasn't happy with it. I sold it back - good riddance. I quickly realized, even though you crank up the pressure to 120psi on your compressor, it would still barely sink the nail in soft wood. I built a shed a few summers ago and I used it to install 5/8" thick red cedar planks onto regular 2x4. Well, couldn't sink the nails on 80% of the bunch. I had to finish them by hand with a punch. Not worth it. I got my hands on the new Stanley 16Ga nailer. Pretty nice and more powerful. The PC could be a good choice too, all my other nailers are PCs and I love them. Hope this helps.
Ben
Try a Senco some day and you might think of a different meaning for the letters PC.

Thanks for all the information everyone, I'll go down and take another look at the different ones locally. I do think the angled gun would be a better choice for me being a larger gauge and able to reach into tighter places. I found that to be so with my framing gun too CC