Ridgid 13" Planer smoke show

Page 1 of 2

What a piece of junk!!
I have put this planer through very limited use. I bought it a year or 2 ago, and I planed a batch of birch boards (maybe 8 or 10) for a project. Then, I put it on the shelf. The other day I fired it up again, and it blew sparks & burned out.
I happened to have my camera right there, so I snapped a few good shots. Check them out:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/deanhaas /
Click the "burned out" link on the right side.
To make matters worse, the Home Depot does not back the Ridgid warranty, as the imply when you buy this junk. I'm done with Ridgid.
sorry for your loss....how I would look at this situation... you bought the unit from Home Depot not from Ridgid...it should be up to Home Depot to stand behind their sale not worm out of it. I would discuss this with Home Depot management and be very firm about it.They owe you a new planer or to repair your unit at least. Good luck and I hope you can get some satisfaction!!
Mike

Warranties are from the manufacturer, not from the store. HD may help voluntarily, but they have no obligation. HD owes nothing, but Ryobi may depending on the terms of the warranty.

I'd say this might be true if he bought the product a week or two ago, not a year or two ago. IMO, the store has a responsibility to sell a product that works out of the box, but is not liable for what happens a year or two down the line. That's what the mfg warranty is for.
todd
am I missing something....am I too "Old School" ? I would never have treated my customer this way. When I ran my store, I sold the equipment, the customer was buying from me. I stood behind my word. If I told the customer it had a two year warranty, I would warrant the equipment for two years. If the manufacture did not want to back me up, I would still take care of my customers. I would never tell a customer that he is on is own. I would take care of his problem even if it cost the store money. I believe that this is the right thing to do. Many a time I went to bat for my customer with the manufacture. This is one reason I am still such a Delta fan. Delta always impowered me to take care of the customer even if the customer was in fault or the warranty was expired. If Home Depots sells the item they should back it up. Just my humble opinion. Mike
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

warranty in a store he either owned or managed (can't tell for sure)...
But, I'll wager you weren't selling at the bare-bottom price-point either, in order to be able to offer such a level of warranty service. And, it sounds like this was probably some time ago when price competition to survive wasn't as much of an issue as it is today...
Admirable trait, but not possible w/ a discount pricing structure.
I owned my store and it has been 8 years ago and if I still owned my store I would do the same. Our prices were very competive, they had to be. Every customer that walked in the dooor at a catolog in their back pocket. I matched most mail order companies, just could not do anything about the sales tax. But I always made myself worth 5% more to my customers with knowledge and great customer service.. Trust me, Home Depot and other large boxes are not selling at rock bottom prices! They are in business to make money. Selling at lower prices is no excuse for not taking care of your customer. Mike
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

Certainly they are...and they do take care of "their" customer, apparently quite well.
I suspect in the eight years since you were running your store that the price competition has escalated significantly for equipment. Of course, Delta as a prime example has shifted virtually all manufacturing offshore to continue to compete, so there may still be more margin to a dealer than one might think.

You answered to yourself. HD answers to stockholders. They have a very liberal return policy for any item for any reason in a specified time. After that, they don't much give a damn about you and no one in the store is empowered to make a decision that is outside the policy manuals. They cannot afford the cost of taking in a product and getting it serviced for you either. You pay for those low, low prices.
This is also the reason I heartily recommend buying from the local dealer. You get good prices, but you get fantastic service along with it. I know I can buy from Amazon and save $20,. but in the scheme of things, 20 bucks is cheap insurance to be sure the local guy is there to help me. For the guys out in the boonies, reputable places like Lee Valley and McFeely is a very good way to buy.

The answer I give my wife as I fill the tank at the local station for .12 / gallon more. When I need a gallon of premium for my chainsaw or another five gallons of off-road for the tractor, he's there, next is twenty miles away.
Not in the boondocks, but if you stand tip-toe, you can see 'em from here....

From what I read in the paper yesterday, he is not making much money either. Many smaller local stations would be gone if not for the convenience store most have today. In spite of the prices, the markup per gallon has gone down to the station owner.

Considering that the average vehicle costs you the average owner .35 cents per mile to operate, driving 40 miles round trip would cost you $14. Driving much over 5 or 6 miles is seldom worth a .10 savings in the long run. You really are saving money and helping the local economy.

incurred by the purchaser who leaves the vehicle in the driveway.
Sort of like $45 a day to house an inmate, but nobody tells you that one or seven differ only in food cost.
wrote in message

Well sorta, If the car simply sits in the drive way, the insurance should be significantly cheaper, the vehicle should last longer and prolong having to replace it, maintence would be considerably less and the gas bill would be cheaper.
Leon wrote:

If it simply sits it's going to rot away in no time. If it's driven once in a while it will last a lot longer than if it just sits.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Some engine and or drive train seals may fail from not driving and the tires may go bad but I assure you the sheet metal, glass, interior, paint, weather strip will have no more ill effects than if it was driven. You would be surprised how long some new cars will set on a dealers lot one has some weird options or color combinations. Not unusual to still hear of some new 03's still being offered on a TV ad.

Looks like the right side elected a Pope and the left side didn't.
Kidding aside, sorry for your loss.

Home Depot offered a 'Lifetime Warranty' on a R2610 sander I purchased Dec. 2003. It was an offer, highly publicized in their store and on their web-site. I asked the highly qualified, ultra knowledgeable, sales-kid if that would include wear and tear on the Velcro pad. He assured me it would be covered. (I had my doubts at the time, as you can well imagine. I knew I would be buying replacements, but that's to be expected.)
For a lark, I approached yet another highly qualified, ultra knowledgeable, sales-kid, and asked him for a replacement pad. I explained that the unit had a life-time warranty. The first question out of his mouth was, and I swear: "Did you buy the extended warranty?" After I realized that as I talked to him, I could see the inside of the back of head through his eyes, I dropped the issue, at least with him.
This is an evolving story, I'll keep you posted. I'm going back there, with a print-out of the warranty and a picture of the sign.
Meanwhile, I bought a Velcro PSA pad at Lee Valley in London, and glued it on. Lasted about the same length of time as the original. I'm looking into a cheaper version of the Mirka pad which seems to last and last...but I only use that on one kind of sandpaper.
I also noticed that Home Despot no longer has that 2610 ROS on display... must be too expensive to buy now that the US dollar has 'adjusted'.
MrSilly wrote:

Here's a quote from the Home Depot web site concerning the Ridgid warranty:
"RIDGID Handheld and Stationary Power Tool 3-Year Limited Service Warranty
Proof of purchase must be presented when requesting warranty service. Limited to RIDGID hand held and stationary power tools purchased 2/1/04 and after. This product is manufactured by One World Technologies, Inc. The trademark is licensed from RIDGID, Inc. All warranty communications should be directed to One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service at (toll free) 1-866-539-1710."
Unless you have paperwork showing something different you'll have to deal with One World Technologies, Inc..
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

As a Home Depot employee I'd like to thank you for actually taking the time to read the warranty. Yep we do require a sales receipt, which I'm assuming this person no longer has. I say this as he is vague on how long he's had the unit, one or two years. It is unfortunate we need to require this but we do have people that try to run a scam on us bringing back a tool they got for five bucks at a garage sale or pulled out of a dump. I am in no way saying this is what is happening here. Just that I've seen it happen before. As also has been pointed out in other posts we have only a limited authority to address these isssues. If as an employee I exceed my authority I maay be promoted to customer. How far did you persue it. A sales person isn't authorized nor is a dept supervisor It would have to be OKed by at least an assistant manager or possibly even the store manager because of the cost of the unit.
D. Mo