ridgid 13" planer -- play in the height wheel when locked?

after debating whether to get the delta 22-580 or the dewalt dw735, I finally decided on the ridgid :) because of the lifetime warranty, the included stand, dust collection attachment, and extra set of knives. Anyway, I noticed when i tried it out earlier that even when the snipe lock feature is engaged, there is play in the height adjustment wheel (about half a rotation before it tightens up), which turns the gears and I'm guessing brings the cutter head up [or down] ever so slightly. I don't know if this happens when planing a piece of wood however (perhaps just when you turn the wheel). I was just wondering if this play in the wheel is normal? Thanks.

Reply to
TheKeith

Probably gear lash. Does the cutterhead move at all? Tom

Reply to
tom

Mine does that too. The head is truely locked and doesn't move unless I force the adjusting crank. I chalked the crank movement up to gear lash.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Mine does the same thing. The head does not move, you're just seeing gear backlash between the locked head and the adjusting wheel.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

great--thanks everybody.