Riased Panel Bi-Fold doors

Hi all:
Thank you for the feedback on my earlier questions about making the bi-fold doors out of MDF. I am still thinking of what to do. While I have been looking at my options another question arose. How THICK should the wood be. I had been thinking of using 3/4 in thick wood but one of the people at a local lumberyard said he thought they should be 1 in to 1 1/4 in thick. If I use wood that thick what do I use for router bits to cut the rails and stiles. My bits are for 3/4 in wood. Do I need to invest in a bigger set of bits or am I safe with the thinner wood? The doors will be about 79" tall by about 17 1/2 in wide and I am attempting to make four of them.
Richard

Richard, it's time to dive in, and make a prototype with what you have. See if you like it. More importantly, see if SWMBO likes it. Just make one, and see if you think it's strong enough. light enough, smooth enough, good enough looking for the room you want to use it in.
You'll learn more by practicing on $20 worth of stock than any of the experts here can share with you. And you're going to have to practice anyway. That's why many table plans, for first time builders, say to make at least 5 legs....
Good luck! Tell us how you did!
Patriarch
Excellent advice. Earl Creel

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000402000209080401030309 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Thanks for the advice. I DO have a prototype started but my router broke down and that stalled me. It is back from the repair shop and ready to roll. I'll tell how they turn out.
Richard
patriarch < wrote:

[...]
Richard Shelson wrote:

I've had no problems with the 3/4" bi-fold doors I've made but the maximum door width was 24" (12" wide panels).