RFD: new group rec.fencebuilding

Proposed Charter:
Detailed discussions of wood fence building. Emphasis on stupidity like forgetting to account for post width/thicknesses when calculating distances (three times), not securing your mason line such that it slips down a fence post and not noticing until you've nailed-up half a dozen slightly sloping boards, consistently missing your 2x4 rails - saying "screw it!" and simply driving in extra nails, buying a new blade for your newly-acquired blade before thoroughly checking the run-out on the motor and thus discovering that the bearings are shot and you really didn't need a new blade, working in the dark with little to no light, trying to trim the bottom end off of a gate because you don't want to take it off the hinges and creating more work for yourself as you contort your body to trim the damn thing in place, waiting until 45 minutes before you're scheduled to leave on vacation before installing a threaded rod stiffener on your wooden gate because you figured, "aw heck, how much can it sag in a couple of days?" and it's sagging like a mothereffer, the joy of using an underpowered cordless circular saw to attempt ripping 2x4s, the peace and serenity of blowing-out the side of a narrow board while ripping it by hand with an improperly-set but otherwise lovely hand saw.
*sigh*
Or, more simply: Completing a section of fence and two modest garden gates on-time and on-budget, with the help of an able assistant.
http://www.klownhammer.org/fencebuilding /
Humbly submitted, O'Deen
What's left to discuss? I think you covered it all - except for purchasing 34 8' sections of stockade fence + 35 bags of Sacrete at the local home center, then trying to get it all home in the Jetta. (Not me, I swear. Never owned a Jetta.)
Come to think of it, I'd vote yes - just for the anecdotes.

Sounds like somebody had a bad day........
On 12 Oct 2004 12:51:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

Well, you must be a Republican, because if'n you was a Democrat you would be a Liberal, by definition, and therefore you would embrace a world without fences, as fences is an impediment to cross-cultural cross-pollination, and that is where we gets our strength, as a country of immigrants and other folks who came from different places, and you would be more sensitive to the idea that there is other people besides Democrats, and by that I mean, by definition, Liberals, who would be fair-minded enough to encompass the full realm of Political Thought, which would be intended to include those narrow minded sonsabitches from the opposite side of what I was arguing about, who don't believe in the concept of fair play and want to tear down all of boundaries between between the classes, which we surely do not acknowledge, being, as we are, Liberals; or as we may currently be thought of as Conservatives, given the flow of History and the lack of Classical Education in the schools that are called Public here, but Private in the world from which we derive our Animus - Beyond this we must investigate whether or not you own your own means of production and thinking that you will say so gives me pause and I must think that you may not be a Republican, as we have thought about them in our first level of correspondence, but that you might be something new - surely this is not possible - And I do not like it at all that you are trying to sneak in another Political Thread into this Newsgroup that soley devoted to the contemplation of all things WoodDorking - would you like fries with that?
(and this is exactly what i have been talking about for three months)
(apologies to James Joyce)
Regards, Tom.
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:45:16 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

You and Ike - the never ending sentences...
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message

Ike Steinbeck ... ?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Yup. Gotta get the Libertarians and Naderites in there.
Charlie Self "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:44:15 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Kinda like the regular media..."so it goes."

Well, I are a registurd Demlocrat. While I'm concerned about isolationism, jingoism and Ringoism (the condition whereby a rock-n-roll fan is unaware of the fifth Beatle), I believe a good fence makes for good neighbors mostly on account of it compells me to be less of a lazy ass and ackshully go 'round to their front door if'n I want to axe them if they'd like to come out to our backyard for some chips/salsa (pronounced sahl-sah, not sahl-zuh) and varied refreshments - the flammability of those refreshments increasing as the weekend approaches. I also have a shop dawg that is part wolf and therefore is wont to stay put; the pop-psychologists of the day might say she has some boundary issues in that she has none, plus it's good for a dog to know where their home is and it lessens the chances of them getting hit by a car (dog's amazingly smart in some arenas and just plain dumb as a box of hair when it comes to calculating automobile/canine vectors, intersections 'n shit) or eating some garbage (dawg's can have pretty touchy stomachs and you wouldn't believe the mess a dog with diarrhea can cause or maybe you can and you just don't want to think about it) and so therefore a fence and the accompanying life-building experience.
What went right in the process was: - Scribing a line and then taking about 1/4" off of a 3' two-buh-four with a #40 (that'd be a scrub plane, Jeff) and a 1950's era Stanley jack plane (type 19 #5, Keeter) in just a couple minutes - the side benefit being some excellent kindling for our cheapy portable outdoor firepit.
- Despite oodles of run-out, getting some good use out of the newly-acquired DeWalt RAS, including developing a healthy respect and careful operating routine for said machine.
- Taking advantage of my mixed dominance (left-eyed, right handed) and hammering some crucial nails left-handed without much trouble or drama (a necessity when part of the workpiece is your house and the alternative is to hang upside down while hammering).
- Watching the cats nimbly scale the 42" fence, while it easily turned away the neighborhood skunks.
- Installing two garden gates that swung easily with no gaps.
- Successfully straightening-out a HSS drill bit just enough to make that last hole in some 1/8" steel.
- Discovering the speed and utility of "Tapcons," and that drilling small holes in concrete/stucco with a 1/2" hammer drill is no big deal at all.
- Using a Millers Falls Parsons brace (the bosso one with the red permaloid handles) to drive stubborn screws with authority unimaginable with a cordless drill/driver.
- Smacking my thumb twice and not crying either time... especially the second time.
- Getting only one small, easily removed redwood splinter.
- The smile on SWIATAABOC's face as our shop dawg romped around the yard for the first time (the smile on the dawg's face wasn't bad either).
- Putting the tools away, psyching up for the next project.
- Hitting reload on JibJab all day.
Humbly Submitted, O'Deen
Patrick Olguin wrote:

And exactly *why* do you have a firepit in LoCal? Do y'all feel the need to huddle around a blazing fire whenever the temp drops below 75 degrees?

Priceless ...
Chuck Vance
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:11:56 -0500, Conan the Librarian

That's COLD!

At age 7 and younger? Sure. But you get into the older gals and you won't find one after a night at the beach around a fire. ;)

Maybe once, but _every_day_, and reloading multiple times? C'mon. It caused me to find another bug with NN 7. NN7 reloads the Atom films commercials and continually plays them, never loading the movie.
Hey, have you seen my film on Atom yet? A friend of mine just told me about it today. http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/contentPlay/video.jsp?id=larry&preplay=1
I dropped another 256MB of memory and a 128MB vid card in the old box today and it's back to screaming. That NAV 2005 just sucked the life right out of it. $139.98 total, plus half an hour of my time. Well worth it.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:21:20 -0700, Larry Jaques

Anagrams for virgin:
Virgin Grin iv Grin vi Ring iv Ring vi
Regards, Tom.
Larry Jaques wrote:

And that's why you moved to Oreygun?

OK, so you hang out on the beach with chicks who think it's bitterly cold at 65 degrees, so you build a fire and offer to help keep them warm.
And that's why you moved to Oreygun?

OK, I give. I've seen them both twice and that's probably enough.

Congrats. But I was worried about you for a second there. It looked like you had fallen off the wagon. Good thing it was just the upper deck. ;-)
Chuck Vance
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:19:48 -0500, Conan the Librarian

I have a nice new (96% efficient, PVC chimney tube) furnace! I'm starting to grow the webs on my feet and adapting to the chillier climes, thanks, but it's not so different up here. (Well, 'ceptin the winters, but I bought a REAL jacket, hat and gloves for the brief times I'm outdoors then.)

Right.
Well, I wasn't gettin' any anyway, so what the heck?

Verily!
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaches 65? Otterbe, "plummets to 65."
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

<snip of further accurate description of my job skills>
I particularly enjoyed the picture of the Malamute in his native habitat - under a palm tree. Somewhere, Jack London and Robert W. Service are having a chuckle.
Tue, Oct 12, 2004, 12:51pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (PatrickOlguin) Proposed Charter: Detailed discussions of wood fence building. <snip>
Me and the Woodworking Gods are all for it. But, we have one question.
Who's the ugly dood, and why's he standing on a table?
LMAO
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker