Return of the Stanley 271?

While searching, came across this:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PLANES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER -271&SDesc=Router+Plane
No purchase link unfortunately...
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:37:15 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams

Here ya go. Better than new. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=stanley+271+router+plane
-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Also a bit more expensive --- found one link which indicates it'd be $16 or so:
http://www.bosterritter.com/tools/page4.html
(will have to keep that in mind the next time I'm out that way)
The cutter does seem to be available though:
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12-305-1-02-a-04.html
William
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 06:32:15 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams

Prices aren't bad at all there, are they?

For that price, it's likely a piece of rebar, bent and sharpened. ;)
-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

My 40 year old made-in-England 271 holds an edge forever, decent quality steel. Taking out a heavy shaving gives your thumbs a workout, not much to grip, but works great if you only cut a few thou per pass, much easier to sneak up on a precise depth than a 3 HP plunger. Use an index card stuck between the workpiece and the base of the router for a setting gauge.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:31:25 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

Yes, back then, they cared. My point was that today, an inexpensive tool is likely _not_ made of good quality steel and likely isn't properly hardened and tempered.

It's also dangerous. The plane accidentally jumps the groove and ends up on a section you wanted untouched. Now it has nasty gouges in it. DAMHIKT. BTW, unsharp blades cause the same type of mishap.

I have a dial indicator on my old B&D router, so I -can- change the depth by a couple thou and -get- it.

Excellent idea.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PLANES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER -271&SDesc=Router+Plane
I don't think this ever went away... I've seen them for sale in various places over the years and I bought mine 6-10 years ago.
They work fine!
John
On Sep 7, 5:07pm, "John Grossbohlin"

You are shopping at much nicer, much better stocked stores than I am.
Any tips on where to look?
William

I see them at my club's woodworking show in Saratoga Springs each year... but perhaps they are not new ones or are NOS (new old stock)??? http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org /
Out of curiousity I looked up where and when I got mine. It was from http://www.mikestools.com in April 2003. I took a look there and didn't find them and a Google search left me with a bunch of "stuff" to search through. Perhaps they aren't in current production.
I know Veritas and Lie-Nielson have steel interpretations of the 271 with the L-N being closer in form to the original. I've seen wooden offerings in catalogs also.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pW677&cat=1,41182,48945 http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku '1
As an aside, this thread may have given me my lecture topic for the 2012 show in Saratoga... I've been puzzled about what to lecture on and routers may be a good topic. Last year I did scrub planes... Rob Lee from Lee Valley graciously loaned me some new and some antique scrub planes so I added a compare and contrast aspect to the presentation.
John
John, did you resolve the problem with the Magnetic Switch? What did you find was the problem?

Well, in the face of not having time to call Jet during business hours, I moved the "dial" one number higher... I tested it for a while and it seems to be working OK. I've got to cut and build 5 more patrol boxes for my sons' Scout Troop so I'll know soon enough if it's really OK!