Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 7 of 7
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:54:39 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

Well yes, because there's no incentive for them (or anyone else) to sort out the problems or make better products - it really is "you get what you pay for", and most folk seem happy to buy complete crap so long as it's cheap. I've seen good Chiense products in the past - with the associated price tag.
Their labor's cheap, but still skilled if that's what's required; they'll build and test stuff to the exact level that the buyer's paying for.
cheers
Jules
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:39:07 -0800, David Nebenzahl

I think you are 100% correct. I was fortunate to be able to visit China for a couple weeks with Chinese engineers and grad students as hosts. They are VERY interested in doing things right and are very proud of their country. They have a ways to go but it won't take them long. We visited a road construction site where most of the heavy equipment operators were hardly out of their teens. They were putting in the curbing just prior to paving with asphalt. They had modern survey instruments to maintain line and grade and were installing large, but hand handlable and hand installed individual granite curb stones that formed the gutter. The gutter line was perfect as was the pavement when they were done. They also don't waste a lot of time and effort on "environmental and archeological" salvage issues like we do here. They just dig it up and rebury it. We could see the remains of at least two prior iterations of roads buried several feet under the current construction level. The US is almost assuredly on a long, slow (best case) downhill slide due to over-regulation and nannystateism.
On 12/16/2009 11:39 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

[snip own post]
Omigod, what have I done?
Do I get some kind of prize for such a long thread? A discount on a.h.r (or wreck) merchandise specials? A special mention at next year's Usenetties?
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Your cabal dues will be increased 50% in 2010 for all the bytes used, plus the appropriate carbon footprint tax ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I have not been around here for very long.... but long enough to know that there is no cabal.
On 12/20/2009 5:37 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Ah, but there is (and it's Top Sekrit).
Damn! I knew there'd be consequences ...