Retarding white glue...?

Howdy,

I have some vague recollection that the addition of vinegar will retard the setup of white glue.

Is that correct? Is there another, or better way?

This is, by the way, for a very low strength application, but I would love to be able to extend the setup time if I could.

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

I don't know about retard but it will make white glue fail.

Reply to
Leon

Speaking of advancing cynicism, and reasons therefore:

Because it was close, I stopped by certain well known woodworking store yesterday to buy some plastic resin glue (which they don't carry, BTW) for a glue-up that required a long "open" time due to its complexity.

After the fruitless search, and upon being asked what I was looking for ("a glue with a long "open" time"), I was ASSURED by _every_ salesman in the store that TiteBond III had an "open/assembly time of 30 to 90 minutes"!

"If you can't do, teach" ... or become a salesman.

Reply to
Swingman

Snip

You should have asked for a demonstration of that 30 to 90 minute open time. I bet it would have only taken you 10 minutes to prove them wrong. ;~) I wonder if Bearings or Clarks would have WeldWood. IIRC it is made by DAP. HD maybe.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, I didn't want to leave some future unsuspecting newbie at their mercy, so I convinced the manager to go in the back, log onto Franklin International's website, and alleviate their mistaken notions.

I mean, never miss an opporunity to be a good citizen, right? ... at least around the holidays! ;)

Clark's has it for sure, because that is the last place I bought it.

But, considering the time and traffic, I got by with the usual, and well practiced, one-man-shop technique of "divide and conquer":

Swingman

Exactly!

Looking good!

Reply to
Leon

Boy that's a stretch. I was having trouble getting ten minutes back in the summer when it was so hot.

I did talk to the titebond people at IWF and asked them what I could do for a longer open time. They said in extreme heat I could add 5% by volume, water for a longer open time without affecting the strength.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Why not switch to a glue made for extended working time? I believe Titebond II fills that description. If not someone will let us know.

Reply to
C & E