Reswing Wide Board question

Page 2 of 2

But the doctor can help cure the aftermath, whereas I cannot. Did the include file not make it? The one with the disclaimers?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/c25502b80266e232 ? hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I will not pay your Mastercard bill! ;-)
Patriarch
TheNewGuy wrote:

I used my old Makita portable planer to take paint off the rails and skirts off a home built pool table. Worked fine and the blades were perhaps a bit dulled by it, but not so much as to screw up the boards. I wouldn't hesitate to try it on the baseboards.     mahalo,     jo4hn

a 'this old house' had something that looked like a biscuit jointer tool, but with an exposed cutting blade out the bottom. it's used to take the paint off house siding. it left a pretty smooth surface.
Brian Siano wrote:

Congratulations on the chestnut. Resawing by hand is problematic with that thin a piece of stock. You might be better off to strip what paint you can, and then planing the surfaces to remove any leftover paint. YMMV, Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:43:39 -0700, Ray wrote:

Any relatives in Scotland? ;)
Use a planer or wide belt sander. Much faster, easier and minimium of material removed.

IMHO, unless the baseboards are at least 1" thick, don't resaw them.. who wants a 1/4 or 3/8 baseboard? it would look like woodgrained plastic glue on...
If you have a lot of base boards and are determined to resaw them, I'd suggest looking into a local lumber yard of cabinet shop that does a lot of resawing, and having them do it.. cheaper than buying a BS, unless you really need one, and if they screw it up, well... they did, not YOU... YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Oh, I wouldn't re-install it as 1/4" or 3/8" thick baseboard. I'd glue it onto a cheaper substrate, like oak or pine or even MDF, and use _that_.

Happily, there is a lumber yard within walking distance. If they have a bandsaw of the right capacity (that is, it can cut at least 8-12" high), I'll ask if I can bring a piece for some test cuts.
I'm still thinking of ways of developing a framesaw jig for the project, however.