Restoring table, what wax [?] to use ????

I'm refinishing an old maple table. I've sanded it down to bare wood and applied a maple stain. But I don't know where to go from here. Don't want to use an epoxy or anything like that. What did the people use before epoxy [table is about 70 years old].?
What wax or ? should I use to restore its original finish? Would appreciate an e-mail reply to snipped-for-privacy@gonzowrite.com
Thanks,
Trent D. Sanders
Try shellac, lacquer, or varnish. All would be appropriate for a table from the 1935s except perhaps varnish.
Good Luck.