Restoring Painted oak!

I'm planning to clean up and refinish an art deco chest of draws. They're veneered in oak, but at some stage were painted white and have since been stripped back to the bare wood. Unfortunately there's still a lot of white paints in the oak pores. What's the best way to get this out? I've been thinking in terms of trying a wire brush, possibly with the help of some more paint stripper. Thanks,

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:42:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Scrim" quickly quoth:

A brass brush and lacquer thinner helped me clean the muck out of a dining set once. I had used methylene chloride-based stripper on the poly topcoat and had to remove a lot of the stain from earlier paints and stains, including a lime treatment. Yuk!

I spent a month on that project, but could have done it more quickly if I'd spent the bucks for a respirator. I could only handle that stuff for an hour at a time while trying to stay/breathe upwind.

You might -carefully- try a pressure washer after a quick soak with thinner/stripper, but be sure to let the wood dry thoroughly before attempting to refinish it (weeks at least.)

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques

Try one of the "Safe" strippers (ie. orange, citris type stuff). Apply it, and cover with plastic wrap overnight ( maybe longer). Then wipe and rinse off. These type of strippers are good at softening paint deep in pores, when they are given the time to work. They just take longer then Meth/Cloride strippers, which is an advantage when it comes to paint deep in the pores.

Scrim wrote:

Reply to
Joseph Connors

Reply to