restore 1930's hairpin back chair - help

I have chairs from a 1930's steakhouse that I'd like to restore to what they would have looked like. Right now they have red vinyl seats w/ brass tacks and the wood is painted a creamy color. Would they have been cane seats in the '30's or is vinyl right? Paint the wood or laeve natural? Thanks!
If they're painted as a first coat, I'd bet on oilcloth/vinyl. Commercial furniture in the Jazz age was pretty garish.
On that concealed area we always recommend, scrape slowly until you find bare wood, then see if there's anything unpigmented as the last layer under a loupe or lens.