Restor-a-finish and that darned cat

A couple of days ago, right after the big snowstorm, I noticed some snow and a little dust on a quilt on a '50s walnut sideboard out in the barn. After staring stupidly at the roof for a while trying to figure out where the hole was it dawned on me that a critter had slept there. And that it was wet. Pulled the quilt off and sure enough there on the top was the mother of all white spots. After cussing a bit I went on about doing other stuff and later noticed cat prints in the snow leading into and out of the barn, and no other critter prints, so obviously a cat got in and found that to be a nice place to sleep, and it being snowing and all he was covered with snow that he brought in. So it was a cat-sized white spot.
Well, we had some Restor-A-Finish on the shelf and it says that it will if used with steel wool remove white spots. So I tried it. At first nothing much happened, then all of a sudden a patch turned walnut color. I kept at it and after 45 minutes or so of work I had the whole patch back to normal color. So I wiped it down expecting the shellac to be gone, but it wasn't--only difference between that spot and the rest of the top was that the place I'd been working on was a good deal shinier.
So the stuff (Howard Restor-A-Finish--stocked at the local hardware store) actually works as advertised.
Now to figure out how to encourage the cat to sleep somewhere other than on the good furniture.
Go for broke and build that cat a winter home with a built in heater. Problem solved. Big grin and have a happy new year.
On to more serious subjects. Worked in an antique shop for a few years and Restore-a-Finish was alwys available to use on antique oak furniture. which was very much in fasion at the time.

@mindspring.com says...

That's on the agenda once I figure out where to put it. Want it up high enough that the cat can supervise but not so high that he can't find it.

says...

About six feet high on a post. Put some catnip in the house and he'll find it. I keep something footstool height and cushioned next to ours so they don't take the pounding of coming down onto a solid surface.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

A large and vicious dog might work.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011
Drape the sideboard with a moisture barrier, also.
Sonny
"J. Clarke" wrote:

-------------------- Even a .410 solves that problem.
Lew