...at a time. Seems reasonable to me. I'm sure you're free to install Windows XP on each of your computers as long as you uninstall it from the previous one before installing it on the next.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

=Yep Owen I can do that...

all I need to do is remove it from computer number one install it in computer number 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 then pick up my telephone and call Microsoft...after spending 20 minutes eplaining what I am doing..AND WHY I am doing it ... the nice gal at microsoft will give me the Key to activate it...

At 150 bucks a pop...it is almost as cheap buying a cheap E-Machines computer to use in the shop...

Before Xp and Microsofts new activation scheme.. I could load 98, Me,or 2000 on any of my computers and have them all fuction...

Oh well...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

That if Windows, and Internet Virus Explorer really did work it might be worth something to justify the cost and subsequent enrichment of the MS group. :-)

I'm all for people making money -- by selling stuff that works. Not so sure about Windows and its security holes being priced appropriately.

Other than that, you're right. :-)) What's the point?

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
Will

Yeah, what a pain in the ass. That right there (Product Activation) was the #1 reason why I finally tried Linux. I'm not a thief, dammit, and I refused to have anything to do with that game. I never have had to deal with it, but I imagine it's a toll call at that, and they probably keep you on hold forever.

I'm glad for Product Activation. Without it, I might never have tried Linux. I really didn't want to look at it at the time, and I was convinced before trying it that it would be crappy. It would have been very easy to keep me convinced that there were no viable alternatives to Windows.

Reply to
Silvan

So what are you and the other Linux users using for an office suite these days? A while ago I played with a product from Sun called Star Office and it seemed to be pretty decent, but I don't know if that's still around or not.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Can you run Forte Agent under Linux or other Win programs?

Reply to
WD

Also runs on Windows if you don't want to cough up the $495 for MS Office Professional.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug Winterburn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Works pretty well, and I sleep nights.

I don't believe that MS Office is worth the price for my needs. I apppreciate the efforts that were _donated_ to make Open Office available at that price.

Kind of like the free advice available here on the wReck. Not a substitute for classes or books, but a real supplement.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

so, using that rationalization, it's ok to steal from him?

I find that in way too many cases, morals are defined as fear of getting caught..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Then one is free to do without them. Isn't choice wonderful?

Of course it does. He also has developers and lawyers to pay, and they have families to feed.

That's the thing. As much as I disrespect, loathe, detest, and dislike Bill Gates, I won't steal from him. Couple reasons, but even back when I _was_ using Windows, I wouldn't steal from him.

Yes, and people who don't care about ethics always have a way to justify stealing what they want. Some of us here make our living in the software industry, and take that sort of thing kind of personally...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Bob.. I don't know if this is still the case, but when I bough XpPro, I was pissed that I couldn't install it on our other machine(s)... I sent an email to Micro$oft support and got one back asking me to do a live chat with a tech... after understanding my problem, he gave me 2 additional validation numbers for the other computers.. (at no charge)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

so, extending that, since you're poor and raising kids, the grocery store is ok to take what you need from too, right?

Back in the "old days", if you didn't have the bucks to pay, you didn't play... I guess things have changed a lot.. Maybe it's time to see just how much Steve Knight is making on his planes, cuz I have a wife, 4 kids, 2 ex wives and a dozen grandkids and maybe it would be ok to just take one from him since he's making money and I can't afford a hand built plane..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

personally...

Very true, but it's more than that. It's not just software and those of us who did, or currently do make our living off of it. It's the bigger issue of theft. Those who justify any type of theft in the way that jamie tried to are equally comfortable justifying another type of theft. It's just a matter of applying a justification to it and the discomfort that should be associated with it disappears. Theft is theft, whether it's software, woodworking, music, or anything else. Sadly, our society is losing touch with the simple moral issue associated with theft. It was unbelievable to watch the battle over downloading music illegally play out. The justifications presented were very revealing with respect to the American attitude towards what the individual is "entitled" to, versus what the simple matter of the law is.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Take two. But send me one, OK?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:TfTNd.142$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.usenetserver.com:

I found it very interesting to watch various cultural and historical issues play out, with regard to intellectual property, while involved in the international telecommunications equipment industry. It is simple to say that there are vastly differing cultural heritage issues at work here. Beyond that, things get muddy pretty quickly.

What's 'right', which seems pretty clear to you and me, seems to vary greatly. And those who proceed without an understanding of that situation are not likely to prosper in their efforts.

Patriarch, not preaching on a Monday...

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch responds:

I'm not at all sure those moral issues are from differing heritages: most kids my grandchildrens' ages seem to feel entitled to peel whatever they want off the Internet (music, mainly, but also games) without paying anything at all. With that right goes the extension that it now belongs to them, so they can do as they wish as far as passing it along goes.

That may be a differing cultural heritage, but, hey, we're all WASPs, though I'm far less serious about the P part of that than the kids' parents are.

You've got to wonder, I would think, just what is going to happen to the inducement to create new songs, new stories, new plans when the chance of making a living at doing so disappears. Spend a month designing a new workbench, another month building it, a week writing it up, and get paid $1500-$2000 for an article on it on the web (good luck with those amounts, by the way, but also consider just how well paid you are at that rate per nine weeks). And forget about using it elsewhere, because everyone who wants it downloads what's on the web, now and into the unforeseable future. Spend however long it takes to write a song, play it once and it's gone, no money, or little money, because, viola, it now belongs to the masses.

Different culture? Music will out, I'm told, as it did in the '30s and '40s, resulting in the '60s and '70s folk music craze. Sure it will. Do we want to know how much money some of those folksingers made during that time? Do we want to live with that kind of fairly uniform music?

I don't know what the answers are, but if we expect creativity in any area of our lives, we'd best not step too far away from rewarding the creators with a decent living--we really don't do that particularly well now (reference a guy who sang a particularly godawful song, 'Achy, Breaky Heart', getting a $27 million six month royalty payment on that POS some years ago), but a step towards universal free use of everything published in any way is not a step in the right direction.

It may not seem to matter when you steal from already well paid musicians or programmers, but it does help set an attitude saying that theft doesn't matter. To call it other than theft, we'd need to change our moral and legal bases. It may be different internationally: that's only to be expected. That is not to say that our particular approach is wrong, though. It may well be that the cultural biases of other nations are the ones that don't work as well as do ours.

Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Software is only "cheap" in the distribution. Making it WORK is hard. What numerical accuracy do you expect from your ATM machine in a

32-digit calculation? Now try to get that kind of accuracy out of a PC.

While you're working on that, I'll reproduce the works of Norm, Stickley, Chippendale, and every anonymous Shaker who ever lived.

Oh . . . and I recommend the slrn newsreader.

Reply to
Charles Krug

So, do you teach these boys that it's OK for mommy to steal? Do you steal the clothes you put on their back and the food you fill their bellies with? Why is it different with software?

If you're going to whine about your situation, look at your ethics first.

-jtpr

Reply to
jtpr

Can't get wife to switch to Linux, but we now use Open Office/Star Office.

Switching time was 5 minutes for spread sheets and Documents - not including moaning time about difficulty of switching (2 days moaning --

5 minutes switching). She's happy now.

It's easy to output a PDF document directly - which is a nice feature.

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Will

Where are you guys getting Linux from? As well, any associated applications such as Open Office or Star Office or whatever is commonly used today?

I've got a machine that has been just sitting around and not even on the network for a while and I might just put it on and load it up. It's been so long since I've looked at the Linux world that I don't even know what everyone uses these days. Redhat? Purplecoat?

Reply to
Mike Marlow