...at a time. Seems reasonable to me. I'm sure you're free to install Windows XP on each of your computers as long as you uninstall it from the previous one before installing it on the next.
- Owen -

=Yep Owen I can do that...
all I need to do is remove it from computer number one install it in computer number 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 then pick up my telephone and call Microsoft...after spending 20 minutes eplaining what I am doing..AND WHY I am doing it ... the nice gal at microsoft will give me the Key to activate it...
At 150 bucks a pop...it is almost as cheap buying a cheap E-Machines computer to use in the shop...
Before Xp and Microsofts new activation scheme.. I could load 98, Me,or 2000 on any of my computers and have them all fuction...
Oh well...
Bob Griffiths
Bob G. wrote:

Yeah, what a pain in the ass. That right there (Product Activation) was the #1 reason why I finally tried Linux. I'm not a thief, dammit, and I refused to have anything to do with that game. I never have had to deal with it, but I imagine it's a toll call at that, and they probably keep you on hold forever.
I'm glad for Product Activation. Without it, I might never have tried Linux. I really didn't want to look at it at the time, and I was convinced before trying it that it would be crappy. It would have been very easy to keep me convinced that there were no viable alternatives to Windows.

convinced
So what are you and the other Linux users using for an office suite these days? A while ago I played with a product from Sun called Star Office and it seemed to be pretty decent, but I don't know if that's still around or not.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:45:36 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

<http://www.openoffice.org/
Also runs on Windows if you don't want to cough up the $495 for MS Office Professional.
- Doug

<snip>

Works pretty well, and I sleep nights.
I don't believe that MS Office is worth the price for my needs. I apppreciate the efforts that were _donated_ to make Open Office available at that price.
Kind of like the free advice available here on the wReck. Not a substitute for classes or books, but a real supplement.
Patriarch
Can you run Forte Agent under Linux or other Win programs?

Can't get wife to switch to Linux, but we now use Open Office/Star Office.
Switching time was 5 minutes for spread sheets and Documents - not including moaning time about difficulty of switching (2 days moaning -- 5 minutes switching). She's happy now.
It's easy to output a PDF document directly - which is a nice feature.
Silvan wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
When I started out assessing Linux I got four flavours - Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware and SuSe. All had advantages and disadvantages. Not much has changed in that respect.
I now use Slackware Linux on three systems (paid money even :-) -- But you can also download through Bit Torrent - I just got the latest Slackware 10.1 -- it looks pretty good. This will be the last release with the 2.4 kernel (2.4.29). KDE desktop is 3.3.2 . Much slicker now. http://www.slackware.com
Slackware includes the 2.6 kernel -- just haven't tried it yet.
Also -- we packed in our NT Server for a Linux Mandrake server running on the AMD64 (ASUS K8VSE-Deluxe board) The software is a lot cheaper and we don't have all the security holes of Windows Server 2000. (2.6 currently KDE 3.2.3) Got a (almost) free version somehow (forget how it came to me) a few months ago, but I will pay full price for the next major upgrade - since it does work reliably. http://www.mandrakelinux.com
Slackware has worked the best for us - it is the most configurable of the Linux variations I have tried and it is inexpensive. Flexibility is important for our development.
Openoffice satisfies almost all our business needs other than accounting.
Linux User Magazine -- large format -- usually has a a community edition release of one of the Linux flavours every month on the accompanying DVD.
I just noticed that 3 out of 5 machines near me are currently running Linux for development purposes. Funny -- cause I was thinking it was mostly Windows in our little shop.
Windows XP is required here because we use software for images processing and accounting for which we have not found better Linux alternatives. One machine left on Windows 2000 -- but the user better switch soon or I will pull their network cable.
You can buy magazines, and books with a Linux "community" edition. Since you can test on your free machine, I would spend a few bucks on these "trial" versions and see what you like. They are all very good now.
Mike Marlow wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Mike Marlow wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:07:48 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

I've been using Fedora (RedHat). You can download it at:
<http://fedora.redhat.com/
It's a four CD distribution and includes a ton of apps such as OpenOffice.
- Doug

I'd download a Knoppix live CD, gets you a bootable, runnable Linux install, and if you have hardware incompatibilities, take the CD out and you're back to where you were. Good way to try it out, test a system for compatibility, and also a great way to fix a b0rken Windows installation if you're ambitious.
knoppix.org is where I'd expect to get it. openoffice.org for the obvious, and so on. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions, my address does work.
Dave Hinz
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net says...

If it's an old slow machine, most folks recommend Vector Linux, a repackaged "friendlier" Slackware.
I haven't tried it yet, but intend to. I installed the latest Mandrake on my old 233mhz Pentium, and it runs like molasses pours.
I did use Slackware in the past, but I was a professional programmer for 45 years or so. And I still did a fair amount of head scratching (and shaking) before I got it to work.

says...

been so

Thanks Larry and everyone else that replied. I was a Unix analyst for a lot of years, a long time ago and always loved the environment, but for the same reasons that I loved it, I'm somewhat reluctant to dabble with Linux now. I just don't really care, or have the time to devote to messing with a machine all of the time. I'm hearing that the Linux environment is not much better than any of the Unix environments were 10 years ago - driver issues and all the fun of searching around, finding them, debugging them, etc., much smaller list of available applications, patch issues that rival Microsoft, etc. It may well be a more secure environment, but I'm not sure I'm hearing that Linux has really made it yet as a full featured environment.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

The last few versions of Slackware don't seem to have that issue. Version 7 was a little frustrating.
The current version - 10.1 seems to slick as a gooses' ...
Older machines can often be easier -- since the drivers are now well understood. Even the AMD64 based server was not that bad though. Linux on the AMD64 was a lot simpler than Windows Server 2003 (64 bit). It runs Linux all the time. Easier install, fewer hassles.
Been in the tech business quite a while. Linux seems to be just fine now. Five years ago Linux was pretty flaky. I am still more used to Mainframe systems and their Multi-user OS than these new fangled PC's.
Each to their own.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

I know I'll regret this decision, but maybe I'll go ahead and take a look at Slackware. I just know what will happen once I sit down and start screwing with something like this...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike:
Actually I think you will enjoy it thoroughly. If you plunge in then welcome to the club. :-))
But I know what you mean. I have recompiled and tweaked the kernel for the heck of it more than once... Probably a few hundred times actually...
If you like fooling with databases you can get Interbase, PostGress, MySQL and Firebird ( http://ibphoenix.com/ ) (An interbase knockoff)
Mike Marlow wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

At the time I used Slackware at home, I was working on a SCADA system that used SCO Unix and a traffic control system that used Venix (that O/S I loved, but it died). Slackware wasn't any harder to set up and maintain than SCO Unix, but I had to do more digging to find the documentation I needed. And some of the "howto" docs were a little hard to read.
I think the applications issue is less now. Linux has MSOffice compatiblity and more than one CAD package. At least one of the specialized model railroad (one of my hobbies) design CADs is available for Linux.
And once you get Linux up and running, you won't have to reboot it every time you turn around :-).

Bob.. I don't know if this is still the case, but when I bough XpPro, I was pissed that I couldn't install it on our other machine(s)... I sent an email to Micro$oft support and got one back asking me to do a live chat with a tech... after understanding my problem, he gave me 2 additional validation numbers for the other computers.. (at no charge)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing