respirator question

Page 2 of 2

Oh? Where?

:-) And here I was thinking it was from an old B movie!
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

IIRC on other ngs. ??? ICBW, YMMV. <G>

H. Rider Haggard (unfortunate name that) just borrowed it! <G>

here it is: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3155
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:25:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
ADAM! ADAM!
First Man!
_Must_ have been the first one to have realised about SWMBO!

first get a sander with dust collection and one of the new high efficiency vacuums to attach to it. not only will this catch *almost* all of the dust, it'll make cleaning up a whole lot easier.
then, if you still need a mask, look into a supplied air unit.
Half-face respirator made of silicone for comfort. The nose cup keeps glasses from fogging. You can probably use the simplest HEPA filter cartridges. I use the organic vapor / acid vapor / HEPA combo so I can use my mask for stripping, sanding, and finishing.
Good Luck.

solvents
hours
Take a look at the 3M 8511 N95 (eBay has some great deals on them)
I wear one every single day in the shop except when spraying, then I wear a respirator with a charcoal filter.
Hope this helps! Ed Boston Accent Furniture
Tired of working for the man? Turn your woodworking into a full-time income and get rid of your boss forever! Find out how right here how easy it is: http://bostonaccentfurniture.com/apprentice
size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT size=2>&gt;I have been getting horrid = headaches after using my sander. Being from the<BR>&gt; old school of thought, a respirator was what was used for painting, solvents<BR>&gt; etc... Is there a respirator out there that won't fog my glasses or be an<BR>&gt; absolute pain in the face to wear? I am not thrilled about the thought&nbsp; in<BR>&gt; the first place but it is better the the pain I get after a couple of hours<BR>&gt; of sanding. Any thoughts or comments???<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; EPI<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thank you for all of your responces... I contacted a local industrial supplier and from what all of you have replied with I am well on my way to living a full and happy life. Or at least I will not be crabby with a headache. Thanks to all.
EPI

solvents
hours
I built a table with a peg hole top and tubes inside then hooked it to my shop vac (outside) and I have little to know problem with saw dust. I do also keep a fan on to move the air through my shop. Maybe it would work for you. Got the idea off a show that used to be on diy with a guy in Canada. (not John Eeks)
-- Log

I use a Porter Cable 334 random orbital sander ... pulled off the cheesy little dust cup that came with the sander and instead used some plumbing adapters to hook it up to my dust collector.
Sort of like a poor man's Fein sander.
For other jobs in the shop (finishing and plunge routing) I use a half-face 3M respirator with a combination dust/acid/organic cartridge.
Someone mentioned gritting your teeth.
By all means get a respirator or supplied-air helmet. But it may actually be posture or stress, not the dust, if you are doing a lot of sanding, standing up, and leaning over the work. bear that in mind if the respirator does not work.