respirator question

Page 1 of 2
I have been getting horrid headaches after using my sander. Being from the old school of thought, a respirator was what was used for painting, solvents etc... Is there a respirator out there that won't fog my glasses or be an absolute pain in the face to wear? I am not thrilled about the thought in the first place but it is better the the pain I get after a couple of hours of sanding. Any thoughts or comments???
EPI
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:28:52 -0700, the inscrutable "Hansen"

If you're referring to the white fiber respirators, toss 'em. Even the good types don't seal well at all.
Try a supplied-air or full face mask if the silicone rubber half-face respirators don't seal. And don't forget those <tap, tap, tap> safety ear plugs (or muffs.) Sound could be another potential cause of those headaches.
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
I do use the 22 decibels ear muffs always (work tunes), so I don't think that it is the noise. I have used the paper filters before and I won't use them. I used to have an old 3M single cartridge. It used to fog my glasses so that in of it self made it dangerous. I am in a quandary.
spake:

the
solvents
in
hours
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:18:09 -0700, the inscrutable "Hansen"

I have the $20 twin-cartridge 3M respirator from Lee Valley. It has a separate exhale valve and works well. The newer styles have an even larger exhale valve for even less restriction and fogging. The twin works pretty well for me, but it could seal a bit better. I haven't sprung the crowbar for a full-face respirator yet, but if I'm going to be working with ammonia, I may do that. It gets to your eyes just like tear gas.
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Hi Hansen, If a respirator is fogging your glasses then the respirator does not fit properly. Exhaled air should only leave through the exit valve. Most manufactures make at least three sizes. The size that you need has little to do with body size. You need to actually try them on. A quick and better than nothing test to determine if the respirator fits is to put the unit on, adjust the straps until it is tight but not deformed, remove the cartridges or filter holders, put your palms over the holes and try to inhale. If you can inhale it does not fit. JG
Hansen wrote:

When I'm sanding I have a 20" box fan setup on my bench with 2 filters. I have the good 3m filter (forget how small a micron it filters but it gets pretty fine). then I have a cheap fiberglass filter outside of it. I made like a J-channel for them to sit in then tape the edges to keep it sealed. Does a pretty good job.
--

Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:16:55 GMT, the inscrutable "Mike S."

I tried that with a 20" box fan and one paper filter. Airflow reduction was about 80-90% with the single filter as judged by the hairs on the back of my hand 8" from the pack of the filter area. Perhaps the Filtrete filters are less restrictive, but my test failed.
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:42:27 -0800, Larry Jaques
......and in reply I say!:
OOI, Larry. Were you using a pleated paper filter? If it was just a layer, then you lose a lot of area. I am asking, not lecturing. I was going to set up a boxfan filter. and was interested.

solvents
hours
Probably gritting your teeth.
However, unless the extractives in the wood you're sanding have a noticeable odor, all you need is a dust mask and distance from the work. You can get into problems if you get a mask which restricts airflow severely. We have to go through lung function tests before we're certified for the HEPA masks we wear as contagion prevention, and some are prohibited from using them.
I've got Bosch sanders with good dust recovery, and a downdraft (pegboard) box for small stuff where the hoses get in the way.
Thanks George. I too have gone through the Pulmanary Funtion testing ( I am former firefighter). I was thinking about a down draft table, however, I dont have the room in my garage (where I do my wood working) for too much else. I have a Dewalt finish sander that I use quite a bit and I seem to get quite a bit of dust in the collection bag. Whether it is good or bad at it, I don't know, as I don't have anything else for comparison. I am looking for a "magic pill" ie: quick fix, cheap small, perfect, all purpose solve all. Sorry medication seems to be wearing off, <delusional fantasy> At the moment I am hoping that everyone will give me an opinion or an idea and one or two of them will fit my need or whatever. Thanks for the imput.
EPI

the
an
in
noticeable
masks

am
get
What do you call a downdraft table with a sheet of MDO fitted over it? A work table.
Don't waste the space below, and it's a work cabinet to hold your sanders.

If all you need is a dust mask, I'd suggest the Dustfoe 66. They do a good job and they don't fog my glasses. About $25 from Woodcraft, etc.

I use a mid-line cannister-type respirator. It seals good and I bought cannisters for dust and chemical fumes. SWMBO is a lot more sensitive to that stuff than I am, so her experience is probably a better indicator; for her there isn't any difference at all between those paper doctor's masks and wearing nothing. She got headaches just as bad.
With the cannister type, she's fine. We clean 'em pretty regularly and change the cannisters often. They're kinda bulky, and you look like something out of a sci fi movie but they don't fog the glasses and with those little claptrap valves for outgoing air, you can breathe much easier than the paper ones. Especially if you change the cannisters often. She wears hers when she trims the dogs' toenails with a little dremel tool.
I bought mine at a safety supply place here in town so I'd have a ready supply of cannisters. I see the Borg has some that look pretty much like the ones we own, but I haven't tried them on to see how they feel. Ours are nice and comfortable, and whatever they're made of, the seal stays flexible and doesn't get all sweaty. I've forgotten mine was on a couple times and got a surprise when I went to scratch my nose. :-)
Dan
That sounds like what I am looking for. Comfey and easy (call it age). Do you by chance know the brand of your respirator? How "cheap" are your canisters? One last question, does it have one or two straps that go over your head. I had the 1 strap and it sucked!!!
On a side note what is "SWMBO" ?!?!?!
Epi

I can't remember. I just went looking for it and it looks like they're both out in the garage. I just spent the last three hours or so shoveling snow, it's about 15 degrees and blowing, and I'm in my slippers with a hot chocolate. The garage isn't attached. Sorry, not going out to look just yet. I remember it was under twenty bucks, though. Walked into the front office and told the guy at the counter I wanted something comfortable, trustworthy, and cheap. He pointed me at those things. But what's around me here in Wisconsin may not be what you've got locally, and I think it's better to buy this kind of stuff locally so you won't have to keep mailing out for cannisters.

The particulate catchers aren't much. Under five bucks, I think. Bought a supply of 'em when I bought the masks a couple years ago and haven't checked prices since. The ones for fumes are more expensive. Ya got yer basic fume cannisters, and then ya got yer... hm. Something else. Jeez, just three or four hours of shoveling snow in a blizzard and my mind just shuts down. There's two or three kinds of fume cannisters. I got all of 'em except the biohazard nuclear apocalypse ones.

It's got two straps. Kinda like this one: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00112.asp (pretty good article, by the way.) I'd suggest checking the phone book for places like Lab Safety Supply and work from there. The place I found actually had some floor models I could try on.

She Who Must Be Obeyed. :-) It's a Wreck thing.
AAAALLLLL RRRIIIIGGGHHHT then. I like that SWMBO. Wife got a kick out of it too... Thank you for all your help. I live in Wyoming and I understand the whole slippers / hot chocolate / snow thing. I called a place here in town an industrial supply outfit and they have 10 different respirators. 3 with gel type masks and a nose cup so I won't fog my glasses. They even carry all the different filters for all of them. The prices are anywhere from reasonable to 2nd morgage. I guess I will be making a trip down there here in the near future. Thanks again for all the help from everybody that contributed. Stay warm and safe.
EPI

Dan wrote:

We used those, then the rules on test and servicing changed and we went over to 3M 4277's with non-detachable all risk filters, except when serious stuff happens then its full face canister type or SCBA!

Here its SWTSMBO!
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
False credit. SWMBO gets used elsewhere, and She Who Must Be Obeyed came for some poor bastard called...ummmm.... Adam? <G>

Old Nick wrote:

"Rumpole of the Bailey".....
Rumpole has a penchant for giving literary or historical nicknames to friends and foes. His wife Hilda's moniker, "She Who Must Be Obeyed," was originally applied to the title character of H. Rider Haggard's novel "She"