respirator confusion!

I use this respirator for everything I do, climbing in the attic, brushing floor polyurethane, etc, obviously is not correct. Even though, it blocked the smell of solvent all the time.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber840
I know polyurethane has isocyanates which is bad stuff and you need an expensive setup to protect from it, does risk still exist if you brush it?
I recently got a spray gun and I was planning to finish a mantel trim kit with polyurethane.. I probably will be spraying laquer, enamel etc for certain projects. I think it's time to educate myself better and get a proper mask / respirator for paint.
Can someone tell me what kind of respirator should I get in what situation? When do I use P100 and when do I use organic vapor etc etc?
Thanks!!
jeremy snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote: : I use this respirator for everything I do, climbing in the attic, : brushing floor polyurethane, etc, obviously is not correct. Even : though, it blocked the smell of solvent all the time.
: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber840
: I know polyurethane has isocyanates which is bad stuff and you need an : expensive setup to protect from it, does risk still exist if you brush : it?
: I recently got a spray gun and I was planning to finish a mantel trim : kit with polyurethane.. I probably will be spraying laquer, enamel : etc for certain projects. I think it's time to educate myself better : and get a proper mask / respirator for paint.
: Can someone tell me what kind of respirator should I get in what : situation? When do I use P100 and when do I use organic vapor etc : etc?
Look in the Yellow Pages for a safety supply store. They'll sell what you need and have the expertise to tell you exactly what the gear does, and how to properly fit it.
    -- Andy Barss

For painting, I have used this type mask for several years: http://tinyurl.com/3ahs8m
For general shop use I like these: http://tinyurl.com/3ykb6f
Max
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

A Sherwin Williams store will have a selection of respirators and cartridges for whatever you will be doing, and unlike a big box store, the sales staff will be able to answer your questions without guessing or reading the package.
RicodJour wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen both ends of the spectrum in the same local Sherwin Williams location.
If the local SW store is like my local store, other suggestions include Homestead Finishing, Grainger and local places listed in the Yellow Pages under "Industrial Safety Equipment and Supplies."
Another suggestion:
<http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Occupational-Health/Environmental-Safety/Products-Services/Products/Respirators/>
Don't skimp on the quality of safety gear. Poor gear gives a dangerous and false sense of security.
RE: Subject
Jamestown Distributors will have 3M.
The 6800 is the top of the line.
After that, it is the self contained units that have the air tank strapped on your back.(Sometimes on ebay)
Lew

I've been to a number of SW stores and I've never encountered a no- nothing clerk of the HD "associate" caliber. I've had times where the SW clerk would not know the answer to my question and point me to the store manager standing 20 feet away. Not sure what the deal is with your area, but around here it's primarily a professionals' store and there's none of the selling you a bill of goods just to make a sale. In any event, all of the respirators are hanging on the wall and they have a good selection of cartridges.
RicodJour wrote:

The manager of the closest SW store to me was previously employed by a Ruby Tuesday's Restaurant about a mile away. He used to bring my lunch to the table.
A few years ago, I knew the 22 year old geography-major manager of the Wallingford, CT store, not the same store as above, because I mixed his band.
Can we trade stores? I'll pay shipping. <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

If you're in CT and want advice on a respirator, try Industrial Safety Supply,http://www.industrialsafety.com/index.html .
For finishes for woodworking, by the way, it may be worth a trip to Springfield--Clark Paint Company is an ML Campbell dealer with prices about half what I see online (at least on what I've gotten there--don't know if I hit a sale or if it's across the board) and they do know their stuff, and within about 5 minutes of them are a Woodcraft, a Sherwin Williams Automotive store (not particularly interesting place to browse, but ask and if it bears some reasonable relation to automotive finishing ye shall likely receive), a Sherwin Williams Professional store (has their 2K stuff and the like that you don't fine at the consumer stores), and probably a lot else that I haven't found yet. Warning though--this is all a few blocks from the fairgrounds--when the Big E is on traffic is a bitch.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Excellent place! They supply my family Asbestos and Lead Abatement company.
Last time I tried to research this I could find no guidance as to how long the filter cartridges for respirators were supposed to last. IIRC this search included labels, packaging and the manufacturer's Web site. Anyone knowledgeable about replacement frequency ?
David Merrill
David Merrill wrote:

If you're talking dust filters, they need to be replaced when you have trouble sucking air through them.

--John
Nope, paint/solvent fume filter cartridges.
David Merrill

David Merrill wrote:

Conventional wisdom is that when you can smell the solvents it's time to replace the cartridges.
If you have the facilities to collect air samples and analyze them, then it might be possible to work out a schedule.
Remember, no cartridge respirator provides protection from the isocyanates in polyurethane

.
--John
Polyurethane does not contain isocyanates. If it did the only acceptable respirator would be an air supplied one. None of the filter type can do the job. JG