Resaw width for new 14" Rikon 10-325

I just ordered a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw from Woodcraft. It comes with a
1/2hp motor. I would like to do some resawing on small logs. I hav read many articles on band saw blades and most agree on a hook blad with 3 TPI, but some say 1/2" width and the others say 3/4" width. Doe any one have first hand knowledge of which would be a better blade? want to purchase few blades, but I don't want to waste money either. S many other toys to buy
-- silver_18038

While the saw may be capable of taking a 3/4" blade, it does not mean you need one. I've only ever used a 1/2" blade on my 14" saw and it works well. As long as the blade is tracking properly, the fence is aligned properly, the teeth are doing the cutting so adding more material on the back end does very little.

How about 5/8ths? Tom

Actually, I have a 5/8" blade on my saw right now - 3/4 tpi variable, from Iturra Designs. I've only resawed up to about 4 or 5 inches, but it hasn't complained a bit at that height. Highly recommended. (My saw is a 16" Grizzly). Andy

My 5/8ths (4 tpi?) Olson lives on my Delta fourteener. It's about as big as I'll ever need, and resaws well up to 10+ inches of cherry. Gotta get a bigger motor, though, as the 1 horse that it came with complains sometimes. Tom

The wider the blade, generally the tighter you can crank up the tension and the taller the cut you can make with out deflection. IIWY I would get and or start with a 1/2" blade and move up if you find that you have problems with tracking on larger resaw jobs. A 1/2" blade is a good size to have a round in general. I can resaw 4 to 6 inches thick with a 1/2" blade with 3 tpi and get veneer 1/256" thick.
A 1/4" would be handy for tighter radius cuts.
Leon wrote:

Actually, a 14" bandsaw can tension a 1/2" blade better than it can a 3/4" blade. It takes more "oomph" to tension the 3/4" blade enough. The springs on most 14" will bottom out before reaching 150000 or more on a 3/4" blade, but many can reach it on a 1/2" blade.
-- It's turtles, all the way down