Resaw some 8/4 Cherry in Southern Arizona

I need to find a mill or the like to resaw some 8/4 Cherry. 6" to 12" wide. 6' to 12' long. Tried the usual such as Home Depot, Lowes and such. One place in Phoenix referred me to two places here in Tucson but neither place was interested in doing any resawing.
So any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thajmks Bob AZ
"Bob AZ" wrote:

--------------------------------- Time to buy a bandsaw, maybe?
Lew
On 9/3/2011 3:06 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Too big for the usual bandsaw. What he could use is an Alaska Sawmill which can cut them to dimension without lifting the beams.
Check with your local tree cutting services. They may know of a nearby sawmill, even if it's a personal one.
Or start here: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIE_enUS397US398&q=sawmill+in+Tucson%2c+AZ
Sonny
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:04:05 -0500, godsword wrote:

Oh? Jet's 18" bandsaw has 12.25" resaw capability. For that matter, my low end Rikon 14" bandsaw can resaw 13". What's your definition of usual?

On 9/3/2011 12:13 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Tell me son, how do you propose to hold that 12 foot long timber the size of a tree while you feed it through your bandsaw. Do you have an understanding of how heavy that size beam would be?? It is NOT the height it is the Length plus the height.
Now if you happen to have a twelve foot roller table both input side and the output side, then I am sure that you could do it. But how many of us has such equipment in our shops.
Jack
snipped-for-privacy@vol.com says...

This assumes that he has the equipment to get it from wherever it is onto the roller table . . .
On 9/3/2011 2:32 PM, godsword wrote:

Do *you*?
Let's do the math: 8/4 thickness x 12" width x 12' length = 2 cubic feet, or about 80-85 pounds, which is hardly unmanageable if you have a helper or two.

These things are do-able with roller stands and a helper. The problem is, this stuff is rough and 10-12 inches wide, so his yield suffers. Bob and I just resawed a 2x10x6 footer+ and the second board resawn was about 4 feet long. It ran about 2-3 inches a minute. The saw _was_ screaming some.

Lew
I have two of them and the use of several more but the cut it too wide/ tall to manage. I would like to keep the keep manageable so as to get 3 boards/slabs from each board. And also to keep the after cutting planning more manageable.
Thanks for the response. Bob AZ
Hello Bob,
I wood google for local woodworking clubs. (pun intended)
And / or seek assistance at www.owwm.org (a part of vintagemachines.org)
Mike in Ohio
On 09/03/2011 02:59 AM, Bob AZ wrote:

In Albuquerque, NM: http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionIdF85220
On 9/3/2011 2:59 AM, Bob AZ wrote:

If you have a lot of it, contact Wood-Mizer Customer Service (www.wood-mizer.com), and they can put you in touch with owners of their mills in your area.
How about putting a small classified ad in the newspaper?
Pete Stanaitis ------------------
On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:15:10 -0500, "Pete S"
Or call the sawmill manufacturers to see if they can refer you to one of their buyers. Some guys want referrals to help defer the cost of the mill.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw