Request for time capsule closure ideas

I have volunteered to make a box for a our town historical society's anniversary celebration. The box will be used to store a time capsule to be opened in 50 years. It is to be stored in the "History Center" (not buried or anything like that).

It should be roughly 12"x18"x8". I have been given no other specs besides "about so big". They are comfy with me doing whatever I want.

I'm going to try to make this thing out of locally felled lumber. It will likely be made out of ash for the main box, with fumed white oak for accents such as molding, feet and perhaps a turned medallion for the top. Simply because I think I can get local ash and oak and I think they would look pretty decent together.

Here's my question: The top needs to be "sealed" in some way, not hermetically, but symbolically. How do I do this in a functional, obtrusive yet attractive way?

That is, it would be nice to have some type of conspicuous "seal/clasp/whatever" that would have to be broken to access the content. The procedure to open/unseal the box should be self-evident because none of us plan on being around in 50 years.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a combination of closure mechanism (hinges, top slides into groove, etc) in conjunction with some type seal to "lock" the box.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
StephenM

Maybe you can find a local blacksmith to craft a set of bronze bands that can go around the box and come together on the top, with a soldered ring holding everything together?

-Nathan

Reply to
nhurst

I can't recall the exact shape but there was a brain puzzler that showed an impossible situation where on piece of wood was fit through a hole in another but there was no way the piece should fit through. Not sure that description can be understood. Anyway, the answer was that they steamed the pieceo of wood until it was spongy and then forced it through the hole and once it expanded and dried it was a puzzler.

So, build a standard latch hasp type assembly where the top and bottom pieces each have a tab with ahole aligned that you might typically lock with a pad lock. Then make a dogbone shaped piece of contrasting wood, steam the heck out of it, I think maybe even boiling it. Then force it through.

Wild idea I know but might be worth experimenting. Should puzzle them in 50 years.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

... Not sure that description can be understood. Anyway, the answer was that they steamed the pieceo of wood until it was spongy and then forced it through the hole and once it expanded and dried it was a puzzler.

Cool idea.

I think it was an arrow through an apple, heart or some such. The outer edges of the arrow tip were folded in when steamed.

Reply to
StephenM

The perfect spot for a Klein Bottle:

will wow the folks and establish you with distinctive mathematical chops. no thanks necessary, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

'll make you a custom one whatever size you want

Reply to
charlie

Wow. I'd buy a couple or three.

But I got no Kleins to put in them.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I don't see much point in a hinge since it will only be opened once. What if the top and bottom slid together and were held closed by several inset, locking, key pieces overlapping the seam. Make them in a contrasting wood so they stand out. If they are tight fitting and well glued in, opening would involve cutting the key at the seam with a saw or chisel. You could put three on the long edges, two on the ends, or whatever looks good.

The keys could be in one of several forms - the overlapped triangles of a classic "dutchman", overlapped circles, circles or diamonds joined by a short straight waist section, etc.

-Wm

Reply to
William

Sheet of 1/4" plywood, some glass tape and some epoxy.

Cut box and cover blanks from 1/4" ply, then glass corners together inside and out.

Glass inside, let cure, then glass outside and cure.

When box is filled and closed, glass shut and paint.

Then find an artist or a sign painter to decorate painted surfaces.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hell, why do you need to do all that? If it's going to be opened only once, then glue it completely shut and then maybe seal it in some type of airtight plastic coating. How many thousands of years do they say that plastic lasts in a landfill?

Reply to
Upscale