Request for hand-held belt sander opinions.

Page 2 of 2

Geeezz.... we get it HYLOURGOS. You like the damn sander. A lot.
I have this Hitachi sander and have used it for some time (years?) out on the job:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tylertool/hitachi8.html
It has been dependable as hell, and has been used for everything from sanding custom display cases to (literally) sanding concrete to cut down uneven movement expansion cracks in a slab before installing flooring. I have even used it with a 80 grit belt on it to resurface metal plate before painting. Then blown out at the end of the day, it is ready to go again for the next project. I have had it so long I don't know where the dust bag is, because I never used except once or twice. Can't say about dust collection.
But for a nifty little sander that is quiet I have used the Makita 9003 (?) and it seems like nice tool. It is easy on my nail gun/saw/router/CMS ruined hearing (apparently the lack of noise is used as a selling op on this tool) and has plenty of power for woodwork. It is sturdy, lightweight, and seems to do a good job at flush sanding. I don't have one, but one of my amigos does, and he swears by it. It is a small sander for a 3X21, but with the right belts, like all these bastards you can still quickly ruin any project. Doesn't seem heavy enough to use as a utility surfacer like I use the Hitachi, but a nice tool.
If that damn Hitachi would have the decency to quit so I could get off my cheap ass and by another belt sander I think I would try that one. I like the nifty side handle they have for this so you can get just a little more control and reach.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
[ snipped Hiatchi endorsement]
After inadvertently getting stuck with a M12V Hitachi router, I have become a believer. Hitachi can make nice tools. I went and bought another. Aside from the fact that the M12V is low cost, it has a lot of balls and doesn't want to break. Nothing like it as far as plunge routers is concerned.... for me. The accuracy of the locked-mode rivals any fixed base routers I own. (Milwaukees).
Maybe I will give that Hitachi 3x21 SB75 belt sander a try.
"Geeezz.... we get it HYLOURGOS. You like the damn sander. A lot."
Calm down, it wasn't me. Trust me, I clicked on "post" but once. I've taken the opportunity to remove the superfluous ones.
H.

Ah. About that...don't bother with cancel messages, very few ISPs actually honor them. Decades ago the cancel messages were heavily abused as a way for people to control what other people had posted, so most ISPs don't honor control messages of that nature anymore.
Easier, and better, to just shrug it off. We've all done it, either manually or due to flaky software.
Dave Hinz
I simply use Google Groups via the web, using OmniWeb on a Mac. On each post, it has a "show options" link, under which is a "remove" link--but only if it's your own post. In this thread, that one post I left somehow turned into about 10 more, so I used "remove" for all except one, and it seems to have succeeded, in Google Groups on my browser at least. Are you saying that others who read it via a newsreader still see my 10 or more identical posts?