Request for hand-held belt sander opinions.

I DAG-ed it. Not much real info.

Here's the 'need'. A 3 x 21 with variable speed and flush sanding capability. Not cordless.. NOT a Porter Cable. (I have had several, but I keep blowing motor bearings.) I tried the new Ridgid, and it failed to be 'flat' enough.

What do you fine Wreckers use? Why do you like/dislike which ones?

The PC ChooChoo is too much money. Period.

TIA

Reply to
Robatoy

I have been using a Ryobi belt sander for several years. If you are concerned about the long term viability of Ryobi, a nearly identical sander is available from Bosch. It is a model 1274DVS. It is variable speed and compact. Belt changing and tracking adjustments are quick and simple.

As far as flatness is concerned, I have never quite understood the need for precise flatness in a belt sander platen. I only use a belt sander for coarse sanding.

One sander I would avoid is the Dewalt. I used one on a project at church and found it to be a horrid design. It is hard to hold onto the front of it without sanding your fingertips off. YMMV

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

I know you said no PC - However, and as good as testimonial evidence is, I offer this info. I have used a PC 363 4x24 for years, under rough conditions. (Sanding stainless steel and wood.) and it has held up great. This work killed my other brands. I will generally use the belt sander first then finish flat sanding with the all to bitchen, PC505 1/4 sheet sander.

Dave

Teamcasa

I second the Ryobi. I paid a lot more than they are selling for now, so I'd consider the Ryobi a bargain deluxe. I've had mine for over 15 years or so and it works like the day I got it. It's very compact. like the Bosch.

dave

Reply to
David

Don't get Sears. For mine, the manual says it takes a standard n x m belt, but the one it needs is anything but standard. Your only choice is to buy from Sears at inflated prices.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Too much?? How much have all these other sanders cost?

Reply to
Pat

I've also had a ryobi for about 15 years. Another good design feature is that you can lay the sander on its back and turn it into a mini stationary sander. You don't even have to clamp it down - it just stays there. This configuration is great for shaping small pieces of wood.

Reply to
MB

I've really liked my Makita VS 3 x 21. When I was doing a small room and didn't want to rent a drum sander, I went out and bought a cheap B&D. That lasted for about 3 minutes. Oh, it spun the paper around, but otherwise it was worthless. No power, wouldn't track correctly, motor smelled like it would burn up any second, etc. After burning a couple rolls of sandpaper in those 3 minutes, I took it back. The I read some reviews, then tried out all the ones at both Borgs just to see how they feel and sound. The Makita spoke to me, but the PC seemed OK too. I didn't have the opportunity to try out the Bosch. But the Makita has performed often for the last 7 years without a hiccup, it's been great.

H.

PS: one thing I learned from reading reviews is that there's quite a step up in quality and durability when you go beyond 3x21 in the better brands.

Reply to
hylourgos

[...]

heard you the first time...and the second...and now the third! :)

Dave

Reply to
David

[...]

I'll 4th or 5th on recommending the Ryobi. Just finished taking the high spots off about 100 square feet of sub floor with mine. I've had it for more than ten years and it gets a Lot of use - some of it more like abuse.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

[...]

Geeezz.... we get it HYLOURGOS. You like the damn sander. A lot.

I have this Hitachi sander and have used it for some time (years?) out on the job:

has been dependable as hell, and has been used for everything from sanding custom display cases to (literally) sanding concrete to cut down uneven movement expansion cracks in a slab before installing flooring. I have even used it with a 80 grit belt on it to resurface metal plate before painting. Then blown out at the end of the day, it is ready to go again for the next project. I have had it so long I don't know where the dust bag is, because I never used except once or twice. Can't say about dust collection.

But for a nifty little sander that is quiet I have used the Makita 9003 (?) and it seems like nice tool. It is easy on my nail gun/saw/router/CMS ruined hearing (apparently the lack of noise is used as a selling op on this tool) and has plenty of power for woodwork. It is sturdy, lightweight, and seems to do a good job at flush sanding. I don't have one, but one of my amigos does, and he swears by it. It is a small sander for a 3X21, but with the right belts, like all these bastards you can still quickly ruin any project. Doesn't seem heavy enough to use as a utility surfacer like I use the Hitachi, but a nice tool.

If that damn Hitachi would have the decency to quit so I could get off my cheap ass and by another belt sander I think I would try that one. I like the nifty side handle they have for this so you can get just a little more control and reach.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41
[ snipped Hiatchi endorsement]

After inadvertently getting stuck with a M12V Hitachi router, I have become a believer. Hitachi can make nice tools. I went and bought another. Aside from the fact that the M12V is low cost, it has a lot of balls and doesn't want to break. Nothing like it as far as plunge routers is concerned.... for me. The accuracy of the locked-mode rivals any fixed base routers I own. (Milwaukees).

Maybe I will give that Hitachi 3x21 SB75 belt sander a try.

Reply to
Robatoy