req: tool source for woodworking class

I'm a parent in a Waldorf Homeschooling Cooperative, and the 7th graders are doing a woodcarving unit soon. We are in need of some tools, and I am hoping someone can offer us some pointers for a good source for inexpensive (but not junk) tools.

The class has 4 students, so we probably need 5 of each of the following, though we can do with 4. They will be making spoons initially, and there will be no sawing on this project; they will be starting with a rectangular block of wood.

5 spoon gouges 5 spokeshaves 5 carving knives They will also be making their own mallets.

Any suggestions on sources for these? Any likelihood that we can borrow something like this? We can't really afford to buy high quality tools at these quantities.

Thanks for any advice.

If you reply via email please include Steve in your reply -- he is teaching the class. Some info on the school is at the URL below.

Mark Loewenstein m snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

- some of my past projects

Steve Lantro snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

- info on the cooperative school and Steve's treehouses

Reply to
obiben