Repost: I got my set to learn with...

...New chisels, to all that gave me advice in this NG which I really appreciate and thank all for. They must be an older make of Leichtung workshops cheapies like these: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 2-647&LARGEVIEW=ON Made of chrome vanadium, the ones I got have Gilt Edge blades like these current Sorby's: http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/bevel.htm and Stanley 750's and 720's. These blades are made in Japan and are cut super precisley with no second cutting bevel, new but someone tried to do a minor amount of lapping on one of them. Any opinions on the cr-va as chisel steel?
Alex

what the hell are "gilt edge" chisels?
gove the chrome vanadium chisels a try or 3 and let us know how you like them....

Chisle blade: ________ |\ bevel /| | || | < front (top) of chisel | | | | | | |< | < when the top cut-lines are like a "V", the design totals-out to | | | | being called "gilt edge", designed like a Stanley 750 blade front. | | | |< bevel edge | | | | | | | | < neck
(geyawd that took a long time!)
That's what the hell it is. Instead of straight-cut top line edges that are not like a "V". It'll be awhile 'til I'm fully set up to do anything, still havta make a bench top of maple, cheaply as possible.
Does that make sense?
Alex

what a strange usage of the word gilt.

<snip of a pretty good job of ASCII art>

My guess is that "gilt edge" is a Sorby marketing invention - sorta like "Waterproof" for TBIII (Sorry - lets not start that again)
Alex, does that mean that the flat on the beveled edges of the chisel is a fairly constant width the length of the chisel instead of getting significantly wider farther back from the cutting edge?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA