Replacing the bit on a biscuit cutter?

My 557 is about a year old. I have cut maybe 800 slots in that time, in all the common hardwoods.

It does not seem to work as effortlessly as it did new. It still works and cuts a clean accurate slot, but it fights a little to do it. When new it was hard to tell it was doing anything; now it is obvious.

Is it time to replace the bit? Can it sharpened? By me, or does it have to be done by someone who knows what he is doing? Thanks.

Reply to
toller

The BLADE can be resharpened by some "who knows what they are doing", or you can buy a spanking new blade. Woe to you if the blade sharpening reduces the slot thickness. :)

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

Check to make sure it's not just the slides that are binding. It may just need a cleaning.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I would go with the slides, too. Try some Teflon based lubricating spray on them. NO WD40.

You can touch up your blade by honing it with a small, flat handheld diamond sharpening stick. These work great for that and on your carbide router bits as well. Available on the net or at a Woodcraft near you.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Cleaning the blade might help too, like on a table saw. Maybe the blade just has burned in resin on it.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Yes. I honed mine with one of the cheapie fine-grit diamond pocket hones they sell at Sears, after dulling it on sugar maple - worked fine.

Depends on how careful and patient you are, I guess.

Reply to
Doug Miller

On the Lamellos, we use oil.

Reply to