Replacing section of wood

I have a door jamb that is split where the bottom hinge was screwed into the jamb. My initial thought was to trace an outline of a piece of replacement wood over the cracked portion, cut it out, and then slide in the replacement piece.
However, for strength, I'd want to glue it and I'm thinking that sliding it in would scrape off the glue. Undersizing it would make the joint weak. There probably isn't room on the backside of the jamb for a sister board.
There's probably a simple solution...hints?
Thanks

Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should not resplit in that location.
Leon wrote:
<<Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should not resplit in that location.>>
<sigh> Obvious now that you mention it. The split piece already fits. Guess I had the tunnel vision of it being "bad" and needing removing.
Thanks!

For every problem, there is a simple solution which will not work! Joe G
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:28:04 GMT, "Leon"

Might add... Use yellow woodworking glue. See if the clamp (without glue) will close the gap--if not remove the hinge. Work the glue into the crack with a toothpick or blow through a drinking straw. Clamp for 24 hours. The glued joint will be stronger than the wood itself!
<<See if the clamp (without glue) will close the gap--if not remove the hinge.>>
I assumed that I would remove it anyway. The crack goes behind the hinge.
<<Work the glue into the crack with a toothpick or blow through a drinking straw. >>
And avoid inhaling?
<<The glued joint will be stronger than the wood itself! >>
Almost as good as duct tape!
Thanks!
Leon wrote:
> Put glue in the split and clamp to close the split. The wood should not > resplit in that location.
Make that "glue" some epoxy thickened with micro-balloons to the consistency of mayo and use light clamping pressure.
Thickened epoxy is very forgiving stuff.
When the wood returns to compost, the epoxy will still be there.
Lew