Replacing parts of old planes

Is it possible to replace the lateral adjustment lever on an old (Sweetheart vintage) Stanley #4 plane? Mine is loose - very loose compared to my other older planes and does not really work because of this. It looks like it is riveted in perhaps - it's definitely not a screw. How would one fix this? Is it considered a no-no to do this?

Cheers!

Reply to
Dukester

If you cannot fix it, I have a few spare #4's for parts laying around. If you know what type it is, and i have it, I'll send you another for the cost of shipping. Here's a link to figure out which type it is:

--dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Dukester wrote

Without arguing the merits of making a frankenplane, O'Deen wrote up the procedure for driving out the old pin and replacing it a while back. Why don't you DAGS for it rather than butcher the plane.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:45:19 -0600, the inscrutable "Dukester" spake:

No, so put your nail set in the vise upside down, place the rivet over it, and tap on the top of it. Check, tap, until you're satisfied.

And you might as well tune up the plane while it's apart, huh? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques