replacing lentil

Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. I see 6 screws going downward as I cross the threshold.
I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. Any tips on method, before I just get into it?
--
Uno

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:40:15 -0600, Uno wrote:

Lentils are very nourishing, but they make a lousy threshold :-).
Are you talking about the top member (a lintel) or the bottom (a threshold)?
I wouldn't use pressure treated for a threshold if anyone will be stepping on it barefoot. OK, that's excessively cautious, but why take the chance. How about ash or oak? Or even cypress?
For a lintel pressure treated would be OK, but why? Is there a lot of water draining onto it? If so, a little flashing would solve that problem. Pressure treated wood is a softwood - I'd still prefer a hardwood as above.

But next thing you know, you'll be covering your arms with animal hide and betraying your brother. Waitasec...I may have that mixed up with having a planted beaker in my luggage and got thrown into a well by the TSA... I love lentil soups.. very filling without the fartastic side effects of bean soups.
On 7/22/2010 4:40 PM, Uno wrote:

Are you talking about the header (lentel in architect speak), or the threshold?
The lentel is at the top of the jambs, the threshold at the bottom.
You need to clarify ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

These two sentences seem unrelated, yet somehow I feel bad for Judy.

That's like asking for advice on how to change a tire, and we don't know if it's a bicycle or a band saw! Many questions - is the door frame metal or wood? Do the jambs sit on the existing threshold? Is there rot there now? What's up with the lintel you mentioned? What's under the existing threshold? Can you tell if the existing threshold is a replacement? Is there currently, or should there be, weatherstripping at the bottom of the door? Front, back or garage door?
If it's wood, and you want to replace it with wood (might not be the best choice) I would use some Ipe. Your local lumberyard will most likely have it. It's one of those tropical hardwoods that is hard as crap, very dense, holds up well outdoors, and isn't half bad looking. It's commonly used for decking and left bare.
RicodJour wrote:

Ooops. In my defense, it was her word which I then turned into a bean.
I found a couple online vids for this. I'll consider hardwood solutions. Thx for all suggestions.
There's a lot of terminology in woodworking. Is there someplace else in usenet where I could ask a couple questions about steel and concrete building systems?
--
Uno

The 'proper' newsgroup would probably be alt.building.construction, or alt.home.repair, but a fair number of the people that would answer on those newsgroups also visit this one.
You will get interesting answers here. There are some of us who are professionals who do this for a living.
--
DanG