Replacing kitchen floor

Personally, I'd remove all the cabinets and put new flooring wall-to-wall. You know the advantages. Ask a flooring contractor how much cost difference there will be. They usually price flooring per square foot installed, but I don't know if they just calculate the room dimensions to get the square footage or do they deduct the cabinet's footprint?

Easy enough to ask. Then it's just a question of whether you think the cost difference (if any) is worth the possible later hassels.

It's interesting that in Europe it's fairly common for people to take all their kitchen cabinets with them when they move. So floors are finished to the walls, and new tenants/owners arrange their kitchen as they like when they move in.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Depends on the material, but I'll move on...

Put the cabinets in first.

The install isn't that much easier, unless the whole floor accepts whole tiles wall to wall.

I'll respect your option to do your own home as you like.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Imagine removing your cabinets?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:v2Dil.12879$Pc.2393 @newsfe10.iad:

I hope you documented the CME credits, or continuing tile educcation credits, as the case may be.

Reply to
Han

What Barry said.

I've tiled tons of kitchen floors for the best flooring store in my state. On remodels, only once were cabinets removed, and then only because they were water damaged and the folks (also filthy rich) were starting their kitchen over from scratch. Most of the potential problems many of you see with tiling only to the cabinets are no problem at all. Dishwashers go in and out easily due to the adjustable front legs, like someone else mentioned. None of the floors I've done had later issues.

Installing new cabinets later is almost never an issue. ALWAYS order extra tile, and maybe even keep your cut pieces. These can be used later if new cabinets expose a spot or two.

There is a reason for buying extra tile, other than the obvious future crack or break. You want all the tile, including extras for future fixes, to be from the same "die lot"....meaning, basically, made in the same batch. If you try to buy replacement tiles later down the road, sometimes even only a month later, the colors likely will not match perfectly, even with the exact same tile, because tilemakers can never quite duplicate perfectly the "die lot". Batches of the same tile, made at seperate times, rarely match perfectly, colorwise. You may not notice this, but I would.

I realize people here are foreseeing future issues, but save yourself some time and money and install up to the cabinets. Pros do it all the time, even on their own houses. Just caulk with the color of your choice under those toekicks.

Reply to
Dave S

Right! And even in the same lot, shuffle the contents of the boxes.

Reply to
B A R R Y

"Gordon Shumway" wrote

Yes, but it depends ...

Depends upon the condition of the subfloor.

Or should I remove the base cabinets old floor

No, but it depends ...

Not really ... you need an experienced builder/remodeler to evaluate _your_ situation and advise you on what best fits _your_ situation.

Simply put, no amount of guessing here will get you the best results for _your_ situation.

Reply to
Swingman

I enjoyed all your waffling up front.

I couldn't agree more with you on your closing statement.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ