Replacing kitchen floor

Page 3 of 3
Upscale wrote:

Depends on the material, but I'll move on...

Put the cabinets in first.

The install isn't that much easier, unless the whole floor accepts whole tiles wall to wall.
I'll respect your option to do your own home as you like.

Back in the mid 1990s I redid the flooring and cabinetry in two kitchens. Rooms were stripped bare of all cabinets. I ran the flooring wall to wall. Although in the ceramic tile floor I did use gray tiles when I needed extras under the cabinets. White in the visible area. And grout lines were not finished as much under the cabinets. But the whole floor had the same thickness of tile and cement backboard. The 25 feet of linear cabinets and the 50 square feet of tile under the cabinets at $1 per square foot of tile was not a big deal given the cost of the entire job. $50 extra for tile under the cabinets. Big deal. It made the installation of the cabinets more than $50 easier later on. Extra backer board was required too. Little extra cost too. Also no bid deal. Running from wall to wall was easier than stopping exactly, exactly at the edge of the cabinetry. If I was laying tile in one kitchen a week or two a week the cost would add up more.

[...]
Seems like a "PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER" situation. I agree with your thoughts. Only way to do this is to explain to the end-user that the little extra in time and materials will save time and exasperation later on and not force them into a set footprint.
As far a colour differences between what's under the counter and what's out in the open - a little time and no one will be able to see the difference. Besides one never goes smaller.
P D Q

In my case it was white ceramic tile in the visible area. And gray tile under some of the cabinet. Not just a little color difference. Two different colors. I presume the white tile was out of stock when I went to get more and the gray was there. I did put the gray tiles in the corner under the lazy susan cabinet. Pretty sure the corner will always have cabinets over it.

Actually, I pulled the carpets, put them in the garage under my cars, and laid hardwood. Yes, I lifted all the trim (that cheap shit that looks like mahogany) and replaced it with oak. I had carpet laid in my basement and put the moldings on afterwards.

I know, and that is all thatr matters.

Russell, not to get sweaty, just added a few comments to earlier stuff to see if OEquotefix really works. Beyond that, with tile, one does what one must. I have the same problem in my basement where SWMBO wants to pull some of the carpet and install more tile beside the tile that is already there. Ever try to match 20 year old last of the run tile?
That story will have to remain for another time.

P D Q

Kanukistan.
Yup, I know what you mean. I once had a fellow laying my floor who, when told it would be nice if he were to start at the feature (Stepped Archway) and lay to the opposite wall, replied "I am a professional, I know what I am doing, but out". Kicked his ass off the lot and dot his boss to supply a new floor guy to fix the mess. 2 days of new guy swearing about the old guy and floor was looking good. Never let it be said that pros always know what they are doing.
BTB: I removed all casings, trim, moldings, and base cabinets before the floor was laid and replaced them afterwards.
That is why DIY any time the job looks like something I can do is my credo.
P D Q
"Gordon Shumway" wrote

Yes, but it depends ...

Depends upon the condition of the subfloor.
Or should I remove the base cabinets old floor

No, but it depends ...

Not really ... you need an experienced builder/remodeler to evaluate _your_ situation and advise you on what best fits _your_ situation.
Simply put, no amount of guessing here will get you the best results for _your_ situation.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

I enjoyed all your waffling up front.
I couldn't agree more with you on your closing statement.
P D Q