Replacing gunnel on my canoe (slightly OT)

Page 2 of 2
mike wrote:

FWIW, I agree that that's certainly the _right_ way to go about it.

--
--John
    I must agree with the comments hereon, having done this job myself more than once. It is simplier than it seems, just takes time and care. Replace both gunnels, becasue of possible rot elsewhere and asthetics. Ash was traditional because it is strong and flexible. White oak is fine, and can be soaked or steamed to noodle limpness. You can get a local woodshop to rip and even plane or shape the wood for a nominal fee. Use epoxy for strength and waterproofness. Be careful not to glue gunnels to hull. If it's canvas be prepared to find rotten fabric under the rotten gunnel section. Go slow, think, and do your best. Canoes are beautiful, and should be treated lovingly. If you're not up to it, get someone else to do it right. It will be money well spent. You'll regret anything else. Luk.     VR,         Tom