Replacing chuck on DeWalt cordless drill

I wish to replace the keyless chuck on my DeWalt cordless 1/2" drill because the one on it now slips when using large round-shank bits and in deep holes. I try to use hex-shank bits whenever possible for that reason. However, most of my drilling things are not hex-shanked. I know squat about tapers, etc., and have never before taken off a drill chuck. Is this something a DIYer can do? Walk me through it if you please. I *think* I want a Jacobs keyless chuck because I do not want to sink the 4X $ into an Albrecht keyless chuck over the prices of a keyless Jacobs chuck.
Hoyt W.

No sense in getting anything like an Albrecht or Jacobs' Albrecht clone--they're meant for high-precision work like in drill presses and mills. You want a good Jacobs or Rohm portable chuck. The Rohm with the carbide teeth (used in hammer drills) is the best one out there.
Set the clutch to drill, set speed range on low. Open the chuck up and remove the left-hand threaded screw inside. Clamp the short end of a big allen wrench into the chuck. Whack the outboard end of the wrench with a hammer counter-clockwise (while facing the front of the drill). No sweat.
GTO(John)
GTO69RA4 wrote:

Thanks GTO(John). I very much appreciate your info on removing the chuck by using a large allen wrench and whacking it CCW. (after taking out the screw down inside)
I Googled for Rohm, went into their site, selected "Drill Chucks" and saw a long list of them. Far too many types and styles for my lame brain. I sent a message to Rohm giving my drill's full ID and what I am looking for and asked for their recommendation. I await their expected reply next week. It does not hurt a bit that they are in a state contiguous with my state of Alabama - Lawrenceville, GA .
I looked at another site:
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/articles/showarticle.asp?articleID 46&position=1&type=article&partID=1
which said down in there that DeWalt uses Rohm chucks - which was a surprise to me. Since B&D is the mother hen to DeWalt, now I wonder if my keyless chuck *really is* a genuine Rohm. In any event, I am certainly not satisfied with the keyless chuck on my DeWalt DW995 cordless drill whoever made it.
Hoyt W.

Is yours a silver chuck with a black plastic collar? That's a Jacobs. I have the same drill, but never had any problems. If you want, to phrase it one way, a bad-ass chuck, get the one used on the better DeWalt 18V hammer drills. It's a heavy-metal chuck with a ratcheting action and carbide jaws. Great heavy thing but it works like crazy. I also have the DW998 (discontinued) with one.
GTO(John)
GTO69RA4 wrote:
<snip>

I will go look in the morning. I do know that it has a black plastic collar. As for a *silver* chuck, I dunno. I assume you mean bright steel. If I recall correctly, that seems to be what my drill has. I will get back to you on that point. If it is a Jacobs, IMO it is crap personified.
Hoyt W.
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

I am looking at my drill as I type. The chuck is a Jacobs Hand-Tite, clearly embossed on it. That settles that. I opened the chuck all the way. I see the screw at the bottom. It has both a Torx and a flat-blade screwdriver slot. It should be no trouble to get out. I assume I must turn the screw CW in order to loosen and remove it. I will start that way at least. I plan to order the chuck for the DW998 ASAP. Thanks for your patient help GTO John.
Hoyt W.

Don't rely on ordering one for the DW998. Mine is an uncommon later model--most use an upgraded Jacobs model. Find a current DeWalt with the same chuck. It's all black/brown steel with a nose like a big nut. Carbide jaws are usually on the spec sheet of a given tool.
GTO(John)
GTO69RA4 wrote:

Sorry GTO(John), I ordered a chuck yesterday from ToolPartsDirect. com . Their listing for that chuck, part # 330075-59, showed that it "Replaces 330075-22", whatever that may mean. That *may* mean I may be getting the same chuck you have. For better or for worse, one is coming to me. Surely it will be better than the Jacobs my drill came with. I had no trouble getting the chuck off my present drill. If all large drilling bits, of whatever type, had hex shanks, there would be no problem at all. Whenever I have a choice, I use the hex shank bits.
Hoyt W.

correct. note that if the drill has been driven HARD in reverse the screw may be a bear to get out.

Oh yeah, your drill will use any chuck with a 1/2-20 thread and a hole for a reverse screw. Your options are pretty wide.
GTO(John)