replacing bearings on JTS-12 table saw

Hi I in the process of replacing the bearings on an old Jet table saw and could benefit from some advice from anybody that has tackled this job. I have the pulley off and will soon have time to remove the special nut and the bearings. Do these bearings have to be firmly seated? Should I lubricate them prior to installing?

Tom

Reply to
tjlichat

usually a shoulder for the bearing to set against so the answer is yes, make sure you tap on the inner race that sets on the shaft and not the outer one. Lubrication? if it has a shield that keeps you from seeing the rollers or the ball bearing (rubber, plastic or metal then lubrication is not necessary.) polishing the shaft will help it go on easier 120 grit will do fine.

Reply to
bob kater

You really need an arbor press to properly install ball bearings without brinnelling the races.

Brinnelling happens when very high loads are improperly transmitted across the balls from the inner to outer race.

Usually happpens when you try to install them with a hammer rather than an arbor press.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett