Replacement handwheel handles...

6" D handwheel w/~3" handle--the elevating crank on an old Powermatic 180 planer. Can find a number with threaded stud; no joy for 1/4" grooved pin for this drive-in application so far. Anybody know a source? Original was nylon handle according to parts manual, metal would be nice replacement... :)
Reply to
dpb

Have you looked at what McMaster has to offer for Hand-wheels?

I've been getting old faucet handles from my local ReStore. Stuff they had tossed in their recycle bin. Usually brass, a spline, set screw, too nice to just toss... Give them a donation for the stuff I scrounge.

If it were me I would bore the center out of one (lathe) and slip it over a stud in the wheel. Maybe a snap ring to hold it on the stud (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I made a hand wheel for the vise on my hv band saw. I found that making the handle was quite enjoyable. There were aesthetic & ergonomic elements not usual in metalworking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yeah, I had--afaict they've got no replacement handles, only the full monty handwheels -- at almost $200...

No such animuhl here; too small a market...I did an eBay search but didn't find a match for the present need...but, discovered that PM still has the pin for not a terrible price; while I don't have a lathe I could probably manage to turn an acceptable handle on the drill press.

Reply to
dpb

I made a plastic knob, complete with a bunch of milled in scalloped grips on a rotary table. It ended up looking pretty close to the original, and that wasn't even the intention. Unlike the original it's made of plastic that won't shatter now.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

would something like this work?

sorry for the clumsy post. I think this may be the first time I"ve posted to this NG. or maybe any NG.

Reply to
aunt.polly

I've got the original cast wheel, it's just the handle missing. I see they've got some threaded ones, too, but not the style to match.

Thanks, didn't think of the Grizz for pieces/parts...

Reply to
dpb

Grizzly, you'll find something like it. You may need to thread it. They have many handwheels, and McMaster Carr always has stuff..

Reply to
woodchucker

Try this...

(categoryid:240470)

Reply to
woodchucker

Had a fuggly idea later on while I was out for a run/walk. You could probably use a bicycle pedal. Cut off at least one of the outer rubber/cage pieces or both to suit your fancy. Ideally drill/tap the existing hole to fit the pedal threads. Other wise just grind the threads down till they get to your press in size needed...

If you don't have any around hit up some bicycle repair joints. They should be able to find you something suitable to play with :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Can't you just turn one and epoxy in a stud on one end? That's what I did for the missing handle on my breast drill (I used a bit of scrap cherry).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On 07/12/2016 8:03 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote: ...

It'd be a lot simpler if I had a lathe, but yes, I noted in an earlier response wherein somebody else made the same/similar suggestion I could likely rough one out using the drill press...was hoping to avoid the exercise.

Reply to
dpb

Or just use a hardwood dowel from the local lumberyard? 0.75in -1.00in?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

No excersize at all, I dropped my old delta miter bar and had to replace te handle, 2 minutes work. Drilled it, stuck a bolt in the end and glued with epoxy, then turned the handle using chisels on the drill press.

Smoothed using files and sand paper. Piece of cake.

Reply to
woodchucker

On 07/12/2016 10:45 AM, woodchucker wrote: ...

Surely not freehand? What did you use for the tool steady?

Reply to
dpb

well, yes you can freehand, if you keep the chisel at 45 to 60 degree to the turning. the tip rides above the top and the mid section of the blade is now shearing vs cutting in, and should not catch unless you drop the top edge level or below the top. Dangerous if you don't know how to skew cut. Safe if you pay attention. Remember it will fly off to your left if you screw up, just don't have anyone standing there.

Or you can use some scap of wood clampped vertically, or make a T and clamp it.

A rasp also can be used instead and will quickly shape the handle.

It's up to you. It was my only way of turning before I got the lathe.

Reply to
woodchucker

It you use the threads, beware that one of each pair is left-hand threaded. (Or at least, they were back in the 1950s when I depended on a bicycle for mobility.)

At least for the ones which I had to deal with, the left-hand threaded ones had the letter 'L' stamped on the flat end of the threaded part.

And as I remember, they were a rather fine thread for the size, so you will likely have to go to the bicycle shop (below) to find the tap you will need.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols