Replacement for viewing JPG files

During an upload of software the program halted and hasn't responded since. Adobe tells me they no longer support 7.0 and looking on their site is an overabundance of options NOT in reasonable price range for what I'm after. One photoshop program is priced at almost $650.00. All that I'm looking for is decoding the JPG files on the alt.binaries newsgroups and others buried in posts. Using Windows XP for home for info. What programs do others find viable?

If all you are doing is viewing files, there should be plenty of free viewers out there. Including within XP. If you need to update, then do that.
snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

I like "Irfanview" and its free.
http://www.irfanview.com /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

I see the using OE.

You're using Agent 4.1. That decodes JPG files including yEnc fine. I fail to see what your problem is.
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:55:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

If all you're doing is viewing jpgs, Irfanview is a great program, and free.
If you are looking for something comparable to Adobe Photoshop, then an inexpensive alternative is Corel Paint Shop Pro which is less than $100. It has most of the editing capabilities (filetypes, layers, plugins) that Photoshop supports. I use Photoshop at work but wasn't willing to spend that kind of cash at home and have been quite happy with Paint Shop Pro.

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:55:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Firehand Ember. I have that, and it used to be free, but I haven't checked in a long time.
One other possible alternative is Photoshop Elements. It's a pretty nice subset of Photoshop. If you're willing to spend money and continue with the commands you already know.