Replacement for that Unit Saw

Tired of that Unit saw? Not enough power from a wimpy 3 HP motor?

10" not enough capacity? Is that what's bothering you, bunky? Well, take a look at this, select your own motor capacity! Only $75! What a bargain! What could be easier?

Guards? Who needs stinkin' guards?

No affiliation with the seller, this one just scared the bejeebers out of me.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Hey if the put guards on it you couldn't see where the blade is in order to avoid it!

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

| | Tired of that Unit saw? Not enough power from a wimpy 3 HP motor? |10" not enough capacity? Is that what's bothering you, bunky? Well, take |a look at this, select your own motor capacity! Only $75! What a bargain! |What could be easier? | | |

When I was a boy our family had friends who owned a ranch in Southern AZ (Sonoita) and I spent a lot of weekends and summers there.

I can remember cutting firewood with one of those. We didn't use a tractor PTO, however; there was a (semi)dedicated gasoline engine driving it. When not sawing wood, the engine drove a pump jack that had replaced the windmill that supplied water to the house.

In addition to ranching the fellow was a well driller so he always had a supply of dynamite. We got the wood to saw by blowing up scrub oak trees. A half stick at the base of a dead tree and you almost don't need the saw.

| Guards? Who needs stinkin' guards?

This woodworker doesn't:

Wes Stewart

Back before electricity, oil, gas and coal for heat and cooking, that saw rig is what rural America used to cut up the winter wood supply. As a grammar and high school boy I used to help Dad and Mom cut up about ten cords of wood a year on a rig similar to that. It was powered through a 12 foot center/center flat belt driven by a single cylinder engine with a huge flywheel, reputed to have come from a railroad 'hand' car. The danger from the blade was nothing compared to that of slipping that belt over the rotating engine pulley. And sawing up the wood was fun compared to the labor of cutting the logs, trucking them home, stacking them, wheelbarrowing the cut wood around to the front of the house, tossing it through a hatch, stacking it in the dirt floor cellar, carting it upstairs to the woodbox, getting out of bed on a sub-zero winter morning to start the cook fire, cleaning out the ashes, and cleaning the stove pipes and chimneys. Rural Connecticut, circa 1950's. Houses with wood fireplaces/stoves fail to enthuse me even to this day.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

.....and it was uphill both ways, too.......

Reply to
bridger

What't a Unit Saw?..............................

Tod L

Reply to
Todd L

Ahh the memories. Just got rid of one like that a coupla years ago. Powered mine off a JD Styled A 1955 vintage. Wish I still had the tractor.

D. Mo

Reply to
D. Mo

I guess that is my saw. I got it used from a neighbor and I though it was a Unit saw. Turns out, the damned thing is a Uni_ Saw made by Delta. I upgraded mine with a more powerful motor from my old Craftsman saw. I feel silly now that I know it was not a Unit saw.

Ralph Engeman R. E. Quick Transit

Reply to
R. E. Engerman

Mondegreen for a Unisaur? j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Thanks Ralph, thought I was gonna hafta 'splain it myself and I knew I couldn't do half as good as your explanation. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

While it was running? :-O When I was really young, dad used a belt-driven grinder to grind grain for the dairy cattle, but the tractors all had clutch control such that you could hook up the belt, then engage the pulley. Even that, with the long belt out in the open was pretty sporting.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yes, while it was running. The engine was started by turning over the flywheel by hand. When it warmed sufficiently to run smoothly the belt, loosely looped over the saw frame's outboard pulley, was eased over the top of the engine's rotating pulley until friction caught it and the saw was spun up. One person placed a log on the saw frame and pivoted it into the (30" IIRC) blade while a second person supported the protruding, stove-length section and took it away upon completion of the cut.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Golly gee, thanks so much. I would have NEVER guessed that was meant to say 'Unisaw'. I can sleep at night now :)

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L